Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Difference between 2 dates

Hi there,

How do you compute the difference between two date to get an answer in days or months ?

I'm sure there is a quick function to do that but can't manage to use it ?

What must be the date format of the inputs ?

Thanks for your replies !

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

The days btwn is pretty easy. Just date2-date1. The months btwn is a little more complicated. Here is one way that I've done it: (see attached file)

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

And if you need the fraction of months between, it's even MORE complicated. I know I wrote it before, but I don't think I saved it, and it was before they changed the forums.

If I remember, the expression had three parts. One to compute the days from the first day to the end of its month, then divide by the number of days in its month. One to compute the whole months between the months of the dates. And one to compute the days from the last day to the start of its month and divide by the days . Something along those lines. I can probably throw it together if that isn't enough of a hint. I don't think it required any tweaks for the two days in one month, but you'd want to test that the expression still worked for that.

Not applicable
Author

try

interval

see ref guide for interval and interval#

Talha

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

if you are fetching data from a sql server you can also think using datediff() sql in the load statements.

Luca C.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Interval function with 'dd' format is good for days. Speaking of months, it depends on the exact definitions. I had to calculate interval in months only once in my QV career, and the client wanted something very straightforward, like:
(number of days) / 30.5