Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III

Difference between Qv 11 and Qv 12 when using distinct and resident load...??

we are facing a strange issue  by not matching with the qlik results after migrating to Qv12.

Our local env is Qv11 and we are migrated to Qv12(on Azure Cloud). every thing remains the same the database that they are pointing and script and all other are very same, exept the version of the both environments.

we found one article which explains about the Qv12 working algoritham and how it differs with Qv11 when we are using Distinct and resident load together..

article : https://support.qlik.com/articles/000045495

we did the suggested changes(used order by in Qv 12 to match with Qv11) in that article but still we are getting the variance in the results. but if we apply order by in both the env then results are matching. but as per the article in Qv11 we no need to use any order by....

when we use order by in both Qv11 and Qv12 values are matching, but client is not accepting why because if we use order by in the Qv11 the current values are getting changed and also in the article mentioned to use order by only in QV12.

Please suggest us where we are going wrong...

Thanks Much !!!

BR,

Dash..

Labels (2)
6 Replies
marcus_sommer

I could imagine that mixing up both major-releases in Client and Server are causing this behaviour. In general it's not recommended to do it.

- Marcus

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks Marcus for the Quick response.

Not recommended  🤔 it seems we are in big trouble.

let me add few more points.

local env is Qv 11.20.13206.0 SR13 where as Azure env is Qv12.30.20000.0.

Any other way to resolve this issue apart from reverting back/removing Qv12 and installing Qv11 in the Azure as well.

This is my general doubt across the qlik world many ppl change their versions right, is every one facing this kind of issues, am just surprising that if upgrading to new version lead to these many issues. ??

with this exp its better to not upgrade !! but what if Qlik stopped supporting to older versions 😕. Many unanswered questions in my mind...

it would be much more helpful if you elaborate with your words. Thanks again.

martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

with the order by statement I had the same behaviour when updated from QV11 to QV12 in my datas.

Not documented in release notes.

Regards

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Martinpohl, Thanks

So what you did at that time, did you used order by in both versions, I mean in Qv11 and Qv12. but in the above article which I given they are suggesting that using order by in Qv12 will resolve the prbm...

now in our case if we use order by in both Qv11 and Qv12 they are perfectly matching but if we add order by in the Qv11(local env) the current live apps are getting impacted means values are changing a bit which is acceptable from client side..

marcus_sommer

I assume that a lot of users are mixing up their releases and that it often worked smoothly without any issues. It depends always on the kind of data-processing which is in use and of course which releases are mixed up. The bigger the difference between the releases the greater will be the risk that it caused trouble.

IMO the recommendation not to mix up different releases is quite normal in the software-world and not specific to Qlik. To ensure a backward compability to older releases is often quite expensive and in regard to design-changes, new features and the whole amount of bug-fixes probably impossible - at least if you want to keep the tool stable and fast.

Further recommended is the use of a test-environment to test the wished release carefully (you may here to try to mix up different releases but again - it makes not much sense to do it) and if everything worked like expected it could be rolled out to the production environment. Of course such an approach needs additionally licences, hardware and efforts to do all this work but again it's quite normal for each kind of business (usually there are 3 environments - prod/test/dev).

I think in your case it would be sensible to upgrade the client to QV 12, too.

- Marcus

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks again Marcus,

so you are suggesting to upgrade my local server version i.e from Qv11  to  Qv12.

so that it is easy for us to migrate to Qv12 latest versions in Azure Cloud.  ?

Thanks Much !!