Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Different Reference Lines based on Expression

First post in the community
I have a difficult question.

I'm making a chart that shows Volumes, Hours and Productivity for a certain Process. These expressions are grouped in one chart via Cyclic group. They all have different Targets and I want to show these Targets via a horizontal line, but when I add a expression for the Target, it will show the line in all the different cyclic expressions. I also tried it in the reference line option but I cant figure it out.

Is there a solution that i can show a target line based on the expression the user is seeing?

Please help,

Jasper

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Jasper,

I don't know any method to retrieve the current expression from an expression group.

Maybe you can work around using conditional expressions instead of an expression group. See attached sample.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Have a look at

How to get the used expression?

I reused JohnW's sample and added an example for a dynamic reference line.

Not applicable
Author

Smart solution, but this is not quite what I am looking for.

My app is to complex for this workaround.

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Can you elaborate what complexity you have.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

I have 20 Graphs that all show three things: Productivity(Bars), Hours(Line) and Volume(Bars). These graphs represent the results on different level in the company. For instance, you have a productivity on Site level and you have a productivity on different clients within the Site. These graphs are filled based on the selection of the user through variables who keeps the selection history of the user. For instance if I select a certain Site, I see the performance of the site and its Clients, but if I select a different Site, I see that Site with its corresponding Clients in the same graphs.

Now I want to show a target line in these graphs that correspond to the selection and the graph that is showing.

shun_wong
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Jasper,

Apologies if I understood your question wrong. From what I gathered you want to use a cyclic group, and each of those have their own set targets (for each Volumes, Hours and Productivity).

In this case, you should add all 3 targets as expressions to the graph, each as their own line.

and then tick to activate the conditional (within expressions tab at the top right) and set the following for each expression

=if(GetCurrentField(Selections) ='Volumes', 1,0)

=if(GetCurrentField(Selections) ='Hours', 1,0)

=if(GetCurrentField(Selections) ='Productivity', 1,0)

And this should mean the right one will only show if the cyclic one is showing the correct string. Please note this will only work if the cyclic group is the first dimension.

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You Can do one thing you can create a variable which will store the values of the limit and depending on selection you can change the value of variable, which will change the reference line of chart.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

Sorry doesn't work.

I don't select the name Volumes or Hours or Productivity anywhere.

I select the name of the Site and then I get the graph wich shows me the productivity of that site. Then I can switch between Productivity, Volume and Hours by presseing the cyclic button in the chart. So I never select the names Productivity, Volumes or Hours in a Field.

Basicly what I am looking for is a method like getlabelname() of the chart, but this function doesn't exists. So im looking for a smart and easy workaround.

Not applicable
Author

This works if you have to select a value to change the graph, but that's not the case. In the dashboard you select a Site in a field and you get a productivity graph back. Then you can press the cyclic button in the graph and it changes to Volumes or Hours. So you never select the value Productivity, Volumes or Hours in a field. That means you can't depend a value of a variable to a selection, at least I can't.

What im looking for is something like =GetCurrentLabelName(CH01), but this function doesn't exists.

shun_wong

I use that in a cyclic button in the chart and it works for me.

The GetCurrentField grabs it from your dimension.

If you want, you can upload a test document and I can show you how it may work?