Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dimension Limits

I am using QV11....I have 2 Dimensions Date and Name....I am using line chart.....I am using an avg expression. I am sorting the Names Dimension with an expression to see top 10 based on that expression. But I ll get all the names because I am restricting the Names dimension to show only 10 Values.

In qv 9 we have max shown values under presentation we can limit dimension but how can we do in QV 11....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Well, you choose your dimension and set the dimension limits to 10 largest. For every Date value on your x-axis you will only have 10 values. But the 10 largest values are probably not always the 10 largest. On some dates there will be other names in the top 10. That's why you see lines for more (or even all) names. What you could do is add another expression sum(total <Name> MyValue) and uncheck Line under Display Options so it doesn't show, but can be used for dimension limits if you promote it so it becomes the first expression.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Sorry There was a typo Mistake.....I am not restricting the Names to show top 10.....How can I do it in QV11....Thanks

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Well, you choose your dimension and set the dimension limits to 10 largest. For every Date value on your x-axis you will only have 10 values. But the 10 largest values are probably not always the 10 largest. On some dates there will be other names in the top 10. That's why you see lines for more (or even all) names. What you could do is add another expression sum(total <Name> MyValue) and uncheck Line under Display Options so it doesn't show, but can be used for dimension limits if you promote it so it becomes the first expression.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert, I dont want to show largest 10 Names. I sorted Names on an expression and want to show those top 10 Names. How can I limit them.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You go to the Dimension Limits tab. You check the option "Restrict which values are displayed using the first expression". That does exactly what it means. Please read that again.

You have two dimensions in your chart. Now read my post above again. I've explained why you see lines for all your names. And what you can do to 'fix' that if you want. If you still don't understand, please post an excel file with the data and a chart that looks like you want it.

Not applicable
Author

Sorry Gysbert...Got you...I used that sorting expression as my first expression unckecked line representation. And used dimension limits to show top 10 based on my 1st expression. But I got 12 names....

Gysbert_Wassenaar

No problem. Sorry, if I sounded cranky.

Weird that your still seeing 12 names. Those are all your names? Are you sure it's not 11 names? I think I remember something about the limit being off by one and I had to set the limit to one lower than the number I wanted shown. Can you post a sample app?

Not applicable
Author

under dimension limits I selected first 10 values now its showing 11 values and 11th value as Others....Before that I used Largest 10 it was showing me 12 Values... As you told earlier because different month has different highest value so that may be the reason I got 12 values....thanks