Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunny_talwar

Direct Discovery Questions

Hi Team -

This is my very first time with direct discovery and please pardon me if I ask something which is too obvious. I have gone through various different discussions/docs on Direct Discovery before coming here, but I might not have explored all of them. There are few things that I wanted to know related to this topic

1) If I add a new row of data into my database, one which doesn't find a match on the Dimension I have in my application. Will that row not show up until I refresh the application so that the matching row is available in memory? For example

Lets say I loaded this data

LOAD * INLINE [

ID, Sales

1, 30

2, 45

];

DIRECT QUERY

Dimension

ID,

Product_Name

Measure

Product_Price

FROM Source;

Now, the database gets updated with a new ID 3, which is still not available in the application because it hasn't been refreshed. Will I be able to see this ID in the application or not?

2) Do we need to have all the dimension connect to something in the data or is it okay to have a field which connects with nothing. For instance, if you look above Product_Name is not connected to anything. Can it be a dimension or will I have to move this to Detail?

3) Is there a way to automatically refresh the data (without having to change selections) to see the data getting updated, lets say every 5 minutes or 3 minutes.

I might have more questions as I will play around with it more, but for now, I would really appreciate if someone can help me with these questions.

Best,

Sunny

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Please find the below:

1. the dimension fields will not pull the data real time and these are always updated with reload. Only measure fields are pulling directly from DB.

2. it may depends on the requirements I guess

3. don't think so

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Not applicable

Please find the below:

1. the dimension fields will not pull the data real time and these are always updated with reload. Only measure fields are pulling directly from DB.

2. it may depends on the requirements I guess

3. don't think so

sunny_talwar
Author

dathu.qv‌ the response to the first question was the most important thing. I guess that is a bit of constraint for us because we were hoping to create an application which is completely based of Direct Discovery. But it seems that it won't be possible because we won't get any new rows of data added which might be a problem for us. Can you think of a way to make this possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Q3. If you access the application via a web browser you can have the browser to update/refresh every x minutes and thus get the updated data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Old thread, but maybe of help...

How often do you expect to add rows? Is there a way to predict what future dimension values there will be?