Qlik Community

QlikView App Development

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.
stabben23
Honored Contributor

Direct Discovery

Hi, I have just made my first Direct Discovery load.

I have done a test case where I load approximate 10 millon rows. 3 dimensionfield and 2 Implicit/Measure field.

1 load Direct Discovery, 1 load the traditional way from a sql-server with an OLEDB connection.

The Loadtime is almost the same, nothing to care about. But when I select in a listbox and have a pivot with my 3 dimenssion and 1 expression it takes VERY long time to calculate the expression in the Direct Discovery application, not userfriendly. This is not even an option to use even if it saves a lot of space on disc. I have use 11.20 SR4 with the "old" Implicit statment. Have you experiensed the same as I have??

2014-01-09_1853.png

//Staffan

5 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Direct Discovery

If you have the opportunity, try qv 11.2 SR5. It has some important improvements to direct discovery.

stabben23
Honored Contributor

Re: Direct Discovery

I will give it a try when a have install 11.20 SR5, and I hope this will give me better performance in the front-end.

stabben23
Honored Contributor

Re: Direct Discovery

Hi again,

I have now test Direct discovery in 11.20 SR5. But One thing bother me, if i click in one of my dimension field and get the result from my Measure field, should not the value change the next time I click in the dimension field. This is value that changes in realtime for almost every second. Now I have to reload or close/reopen qlikview to get a new result and thats opposite the hole idea with direct discovery or I´m I missing something here?

//Staffan

Not applicable

Re: Direct Discovery

Direct Discovery uses also a cache for the results obtained from the Direct datasource. So if you run the same query before the cache expiration time, QlikView uses the cache instead of running again the query against the data source.

In case you want decrease the cache time, try modifying the system variable DirectCacheSeconds in the script (more detailed info in the QlikView help). By default it is set to 1800 seconds (30 minutes). I think if you set it to 0 seconds, you will avoid the cache, and every time you click QlikView will run a query.

stabben23
Honored Contributor

Re: Direct Discovery

Hi Juan,

aha, thats why it works "sometime" probably after 30 min when I have done something else.  I have read the FAQ and not notis about the cachesettings. I will read it again and do a new test with all the settings I need.

Thanks Juan

Community Browser