cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Display dates in slider object

Hi,

I am new to QlikView; I have a slider object, mapped to a field that represents 2 year's worth of dates to which data is assigned - therefore, I cannot create a slider object that will show all the dates, as it would be way too long for the screen. The slider object is multi-value, as the user needs to select a date range, and it has 1 minor unit for each of the 12 major units. The problem I have is that you cannot accurately determine the "start" date before selecting it to begin the date range selection, because the date value is not displayed - for example, if one of the major units is '3-22-2011', and I want to start a date range from "3-1-2011', it is a guess to determine where to click between the minor and major unit, as the date value is not displayed until you click within the slider - if it's wrong, you have to clear the selection and try again. A calendar object is not suitable because the user needs to be able to select a date range across multiple months.

Is there a way to display the date value that the mouse is hovering over within the slider, before you click within the slider object?

Thank you,

VB

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi V B,

Instead of Slider, you can try another way for selecting the date range.

it looks like below image in a easy way i.e; through listbox.

Date,Month,Year.PNG

You can split the date field into three parts i.e; Day, Month , Year

Day = Day(DateField)

Year = Year(DateField)

Month = Month(DateField)

I don't know exactly whether it is possible to display the date value that the mouse is hovering over within the slider.

Try this it may be helpful to you.

Regards

Ravi.

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi VB,

If you need the users to select Start/End, then I would use two calendar controls and then a button to apply the selection.

See attached example.

Stephen

greg-anderson
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

To add to what others have said, I avoid slider bars in any situation where another control (or pair of controls) will suffice.  In the case of a date range, I would definitely lean towards calendar controls or even validated text fields.

Slider bars sound good in concept but often lead to user confusion and frustration, in my experience.

BTW- this is not a QlikView complaint.  This a graphical design preference.

Colin-Albert

Hi VB

Attached is a link to an example app showing how you can switch between either selecting dates by year & month or by selecting a start & end date.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Date Selections - By Period & Range

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ravi,

Can you please elaborate on how to achieve this step-by-step? I am new to Qlikview and do not know how to configure a control to display in this way.

Thanks

Sheldon

Not applicable
Author

Ex:

Temp:

Load

DateField,

Year(DateField) as Year,

Month(DateField) as Month,

Day(DateField) as Day

From SourceData;

Now You can provide Year,Month and Day fields for calender selection in your dashboard.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Ravi,

I am using SQL in my case. Can you provide and example using SQL?

I am also not sure how to create the ListBox as you have it in your screenshot.

Regards,

Sheldon

Not applicable
Author

Do you know how to connect to sql and fetch data from qlikview ?

Not applicable
Author

Yes I do, I'm just not sure on the next steps to get the ListBox to display the data as checkboxes like you have.

I suppose I must use the following type of script for SQL?

SQL SELECT ldDate, Year(ldDate) As Year, Month(ldDate) As Month FROM Labour_Details