Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Document and Named CALs

Hello evryone,

I am new to QlikView.I am working in a company where we are using QlikView SBE with 5 Named CALs and 10 Document CALs. I want to know that if the person having QlikView Personal eddition can acess documents on QVS with the help of Document CALs only? OR the person need a NAMED USER License for the Acess.Plus if the Document CALs are only used for Document Level Acess? but we can do that on Script Level also.What is the Need of Document CALs then?

waiting for quick replies please.

Best Regards,

Salman

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Salman,

As I mentioned, users assigned to Document CALs cannot use QlikView Desktop, they must use IE Plugin or any browser using the Ajax client.

You only need to add in the QlikView Management Console the user in the form DOMAIN\USERNAME, and you don't need to specify computer name or IP address.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SunilChauhan
Champion
Champion

we can use document using both named and document CAL.

But using Named Cal we can access n no of application at duration 24 hours

where as using document cal we can use only one document.

Named Cal are assigned to users

where as document Cals are assigned to documents

yes person having personal edition can lease using cals

Hope this helps

Sunil Chauhan
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for the reply, but can we assign users to the document who have only QlikView Personal eddition? What   i mean is I  think we can only lease a Named User license from Qlik view server? and only Named Users can use use Document CALs?

or it is possible to add a user who has Qlikview Personal eddition and a Document CAL can be assigned to this user?

Regards,

Salman

SunilChauhan
Champion
Champion

if any one want to access through web then there is no need of personal edition.

developers can use personal edition of qlikview

Named user can have access to either document Cal or Named Cal

one document cal can use one document once agained

but

named can can be access more once assigned .

hope this helps

Sunil Chauhan
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Salman,

Personal Edition is a license in itself, so are the Named and Document CAL. If you mean you want to use Desktop as a client to Open in Server a document, then this user needs a Named CAL, because Document CALs cannot be leased, so they can only be used by IE Plugin or Ajax client.

So if the user is going to see the reports using the IE Plugin or a browser (either laptop or desktop or a tablet) then a Document CAL is OK. But if the user needs to make changes to the document then needs to lease a license from the Server, then he or she needs a Named CAL.

Besides that, as Sunil points, a Named CAL allows the user to open a unlimited number of documents, whereas the Document CAL means 1 user to 1 document, so if this user requires access to another document, it will use two Document CALs.

Hope this sheds some light.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hello Miguel,

Thanks for the reply. So, I can assign any number of Document CALs to a Document in QVS and assign specific users to the Document who have Personal eddition. I just want them to see the report only with the help of Document CAL. It will work like this? and when we add users(having QlikView Personal Eddition) to the Documents, we must add the machine names from the users?

Regards,

Salman

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Salman,

As I mentioned, users assigned to Document CALs cannot use QlikView Desktop, they must use IE Plugin or any browser using the Ajax client.

You only need to add in the QlikView Management Console the user in the form DOMAIN\USERNAME, and you don't need to specify computer name or IP address.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

danke schön