Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Doubt regarding drill down group

Hi,

I got few doubts while solving exercise given on page no.52 of QlikView 11 For Developers by Barry Harmsen.

Author has given illustration on adding TIME drill down . ( Hence, earlier user could see bar chart as per year..but after adding time drill down , user will be able to see year as well as month).

(Please note there is already a year wise bar chart.)

Following steps are suggested by author for the drill down.

1. 1. From the AVAILABLE FIELDS list on the left ( in the properties of bar chart)., locate the YEAR and MONTH fields and add them to the USED FIELDS section on the right.

1. 2. Click OK to apply changes in the group settings dialog and then again click OK to close group window.

1. 3. Now, from the AVAILABLE FIELDS/GROUPS list in the DIMENSIONS window, highlight the newly created group (TIME) and add it to the USED DIMENSIONS

1. 4. Now remove the one we previously had (YEAR) by highlighting it and clicking on the remove button.

In the first step, we have added YEAR field and in the 4th step, we are removing it. Then why did we add it in first step?

Also, 2nd question:

The result of the above steps is bar chart with upward pointed arrow below the chart. By default it's by month. When I click on arrow, the bar chart shows results by year. However, when I click on arrow again, the bar chart does not show results again by month. Why so?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

In the first step you add fields to the group. Afterwards you replace the dimension of the chart with the new group. That is when you add the group on the Dimensions tab of the chart and remove the dimension Year on the same tab.

You can drill down by clicking on a bar. With the arrow you can only go up. It doesn't make sense to go down with the button. Which months should be shown if you haven't selected a year? That's why you drill down by clicking on a bar. You select a year (or month) to drill down in by clicking the bar.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

In the first step you add fields to the group. Afterwards you replace the dimension of the chart with the new group. That is when you add the group on the Dimensions tab of the chart and remove the dimension Year on the same tab.

You can drill down by clicking on a bar. With the arrow you can only go up. It doesn't make sense to go down with the button. Which months should be shown if you haven't selected a year? That's why you drill down by clicking on a bar. You select a year (or month) to drill down in by clicking the bar.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Ill answer your second question first. Change the order of the MONTH and YEAR in the group TIME. I think you currently have MONTH first and then YEAR second. Reverse the order whatever it is.

The first question: You are basically using the group time as a dimension so i would assume you need to remove the other dimensions you added in step one.

Not applicable
Author

This is beacause at first you had a single dimension called 'Year' and now you are creating a Group with 'Year' and 'Month'.

Once you have a group, you do not require 'Year' once again as it is available in drill down and might create discrepancies if both are present.

I think this helped you. You might ask Barry or Miguel, both of them are available in the community.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you guys for answering both the doubts satisfactorily.