Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamic field selection using multiple criteria

Hello,

I need to give user possibility to select all calculated figures in two different currencies. In my case it will be a local currency and euro. Now i already have columns where local and euro values are calculated e.g. Sales_LOCAL, Returns_Local, Return_Euro and Sales_EURO. I need to give user the possibility to select between euro and local in a selection box and according to the selection select the field. Problem is very easy if there are only two columns but in this case if have more then two column so i need to select a dynamic filed name using multiple criteria.

I created a island table like this

Field NameCurrency
SALES_LOCALLOCAL
SALES_EUROEURO
RETURN_LOCALLOCAL
RETURN_EUROEURO

So user can select local or euro. but i am not able so write the dynamic field name e.g.

if user select LOCAL i need to calculate SUM(SALES_LOCAL) , SUM(RETURN_LOCAL)  etc. and if user select EURO then SUM(SALES_EURO) ,  SUM(RETURN_EURO) etc.

I hope you guys must have a trick to solve it i am hanged in here.

Thank you very much in advance for you help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

If you create a field "Currency" through

Load * inline

[Currency

EURO

LOCAL];

and define a variable vCurrency through

'=Only(Currency)'

then you can use the following formulas

=Sum(SALES_$(vCurrency))

=Sum(RETURN_$(vCurrency))

See more on The Magic of Variables

HIC

View solution in original post

6 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

If you create a field "Currency" through

Load * inline

[Currency

EURO

LOCAL];

and define a variable vCurrency through

'=Only(Currency)'

then you can use the following formulas

=Sum(SALES_$(vCurrency))

=Sum(RETURN_$(vCurrency))

See more on The Magic of Variables

HIC

rubenmarin

Hi Sameer, this can be done in several ways, to tell the two I most use:

first way:

create variables for sales, return... and use it in expressions, ie, for sales:

SET vSales = "=If(CurrencyField='EURO', '[SALES_EURO]', '[SALES_LOCAL]')"

Then you can use expressions like: Sum($(vSales))

This can be done without variables but if you add another currency it will save you a lot of time.

Second way:

Using $-expansion to crete the field name:

Sum([SALES_$(CurrencyField)]) or Sum([SALES_$(=CurrencyField)]) --> It will expand to Sum([SALES_EURO]) or Sum([SALES_LOCAL]) depending on the value selected in CurrencyField

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

OR you could created 2 charts, one for local and a second for euro, create a variable that's set from a button, then use a conditional show, see the attached example.

Andy

Not applicable
Author

Thanks this is exactly what i was looking for.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

your formula works fine but it is marked as error formula. Have a look at attached screenshot. Is it a bug in QV?BUG in QV.JPG

rubenmarin

Yes, it happens when you build a field name like this, tha'ts one backward of using this approach, you lost intellisense (or whatever name it has in QV).

For debug in complicated expressions you can replace (CTRL+F) all $(vcurrency) for EURO (be sure there is no other 'EURO' string in the expression), debug expression and revert the replacing when it's debbugged (replacing EURO for $(vcurrency))