Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claudio1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Dynamic update command hangs on refresh

Hi,

I'm trying to use the DynamicUpdateCommand from a macro to update some fields in my report, i set the dynamic update sql as follows:

*****************************************************************************************

' Update Qlikview Report

'*****************************************************************************************

sql = "UPDATE INPUT_TABLE SET "        

sql = sql & "FIELD1=" & variable1

sql = sql & ", FIELD2='" & variable2 & "'"

sql = sql & "  WHERE KEY='" & key & "' "

SET Result = ActiveDocument.DynamicUpdateCommand (sql)

if Result = false then

MsgBox Result.ErrorMessage

end if

This statement seems to work fine, at least on the client where i am executing it i see the value updated correctly in real time in 1 or 2 seconds.

The problem i am experiencing :  if another user has the report open at the moment of the dynamic update, the application tries to update itself to reflect the changes made by the other user but it simply hangs, it hangs so badly that i have to kill the browser (Internet Explorer) and restart everything.

Once i restart the report i actually see those changes made by the other user, so i suppose the qvw got the changes but the clients for some reason could not refresh when the changes actually happened.

I have the same problem on all the clients i've tried, so it's not a problem of a particular client.

The Qvwplugin version is the same and the latest on both the clients (the one updating with dynamic commmand and the ones refreshing the data in real time)

I have both the options Document Settings->Server->Enable dynamic update checked

and server side System->Qlik Servers->Security->Allow dynamic data update checked

My report has a section access with data reduction enabled, and has some input flields on the same resident table where i have the fields i update with the DynamicUpdateCommand. (maybe the dynamic update has some problems with these settings?)

Anyone experienced this issue before?

My QV Server Version : 11 SR9

Thanks in advance,

Claudio

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Dynamic Update never was and will never be a multi-user mechanism. All updates for one application should be performed in a coordinated (queued) manner from a central, single point. Alternatively there should be an administrator or super-user that is allowed to do updates.

You should use Dynamic Update with extreme caution as it is not a very robust mechanism and it is furthermore considered legacy. Some posts in this forum even suggests that there is no support from Qlik on this feature although it is not mentioned AFAIK in any documentation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Dynamic Update never was and will never be a multi-user mechanism. All updates for one application should be performed in a coordinated (queued) manner from a central, single point. Alternatively there should be an administrator or super-user that is allowed to do updates.

You should use Dynamic Update with extreme caution as it is not a very robust mechanism and it is furthermore considered legacy. Some posts in this forum even suggests that there is no support from Qlik on this feature although it is not mentioned AFAIK in any documentation.

claudio1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Petter,

I was still hoping i could use the dynamicupdate instead of reloading the report using the API which takes a slightly longer time but it seems to work fine (only one update at time can be made though).

Reading that the dynamicupdate is such an "experimental" feature i think my only option is to abandon that approach, too bad it was a very cool feature and in other (far simpler) applications i tried i could use it without problems.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Glad to help, if this concludes the question please mark the question as answered so the thread is closed.