Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonseril
Creator
Creator

ETL function of QV

Is it possible that two different sources (ie, oracle and db2) data in different servers can be inserted,
updated,deleted or writeback to another database server (say DB2) using the Qlikview ETL?

If so, please let me know the method or procedure. Thanks

9 Replies
Not applicable

Jason,

Connecting to differnet sources using ODBC/OLEDB will never eb a problem with QV.

I would sugegst for the following :

Bring the data into a staging (Stored QVDs) using ODBC/OLEDB connection to the respective sources.

From the stored QVD's load the data as per your wish (merge if requird) into your aQV application.

Now the applcationc an ponit to a specific source for read/write/update.

Regards,

Arun

jasonseril
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello Arun,

The application can point to a specific source (ie DB2) for read/write/update (write-back) through a macro or is there another way? Do you have a sample qvw application like this? i would really appreciate if you have one.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jason

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Qlikview is not really strong in writing back to ODBC in the scenario you have outlined, but it is possible. If you search the forum, you'll find some macros that will update a database from a QV table (ADO I think). There is also a sqlvalue() function available which may work for small updae activity.

Depending on your flow, another possibilty would be to export the data to XLS or CSV and do a batch update of the database.

-Rob

Not applicable

Rob, I agree with you. In the ETL/BI frame work, we shoud avoid write backs as mucha s possible and for minor updates, use macros.

-Arun

Not applicable

We recently created an interesting utility that can push QVDs into a database. We are in the process of integrating it along with the Publisher using the EDX capabilities. It helped us meet the need to use QlikView as the ETL layer. Like Rob mentioned, of course, it works in batch mode only - atleast as of now!

etl_tools
Creator
Creator

As alternative you may consider using our ETL-Tools QlikView connector. It works directly with 23 data sources has more than 300 data transformation and validation functions plus it has powerful GUI which makes it it easy to design complex data transformations even for new user.

The trial has no limitations and can be downloaded today

http://www.etl-tools.com/etl-tools/qlikview-connector/overview.html

We are constantly adding new functions and data sources

Mike

Not applicable

Thanks Mike. It is really interesting.

Good initiative. Will explore and see where we can use it.

Will post back my experience.

Raj

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jason,

Writing into the datasource is typically not a BI job.  Anyway, QV script allows it.  Tecnically, you can write any SQL command after the keyword SQL, not only SELECT.  Just make sure that your open connection in the read/write mode.  And the connection credentials must have write permission.
(As for my expereince, I only had to create indexes in the database while executing the script, never had to insert or update.)

Regards,
Michael

etl_tools
Creator
Creator

rajendran

Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

We will be happy to assist.

Also if you have any suggestions on how to improve our ETL software please let us know and we will implement them for you. As you can see from our support forum we do listen to our customers

http://www.etl-tools.com/advanced-etl-processor/5266-etl-file-operation-options-suggestions.html

Mike

www.etl-tools.com