cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

ETL in QlikView (Beginner's Query)

Hi All

I have previously worked on SAP BW projects and now going to be involved in QlikView project implementation. I have gone through some documents and articles on QlikView but I still have doubt about the possibility of performing complex transformation in QlikView.

A typical ETL in SAP BW is as follows :

1 - Extract the data from Source system to Staging Area
2 - Transform and Transfer the data
3 - Load the data to Data Mart

Is it possible to perform the same in QlikView as below:

1 - Extract data from source system to temp. logical tables (Staging)
2 - Loop through the data and transform it (Transformation).
3 - Re-Load the data into different logical tables (Loading).

How you have done such scenarios in your implementations?

Many thanks

Regards

MultiView

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Qlikview has a scripting language and a lot of functionality covering the ETL domain. It is one of the best tools I've seen what concerns reading in flat files (configuring the process). The scripting language is almost in all regards more powerful than SQL and has all those control structures you'd probably need.

One thing to keep in mind is that Qlikview needs to read the whole file into memory first. Tools like awk,sed, or SAS can go string-wise and so they are not limited by the amount of RAM.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Qlikview has a scripting language and a lot of functionality covering the ETL domain. It is one of the best tools I've seen what concerns reading in flat files (configuring the process). The scripting language is almost in all regards more powerful than SQL and has all those control structures you'd probably need.

One thing to keep in mind is that Qlikview needs to read the whole file into memory first. Tools like awk,sed, or SAS can go string-wise and so they are not limited by the amount of RAM.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you KlickBunti for your response. Also I found this thread really helpful http://community.qlik.com/message/79630#79630 .

Regards
MultiView