Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simonvm9114
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Effect autonumber() on qvw size

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if an autonumber function is supposed to affect the size of a qvw file?

I'm trying to optimize the size of a qvw by using the autonumber function on a concatenated key (%Key1 &'|'& %Key2). The field contains nearly 1 million distinct values and removing the field completely saves around 25% of the disc space of the qvw I'm testing with. Although when I replace the field with an autonumbered one instead of removing it, it doesn't affect the size at all.

What is good to know is that for performance reasons, I don't use the autonumber() function directly on the key. Instead I load a mapping table with [%ConcatKey] AS Key, autonumber([%ConcatKey]) AS Value. I apply this mapping on the key in both the metricstable and the dimensions I load.

When I save 2 instances of the distinct values of the key in a QVD, one as is and the other one as autonumber, the autonumbered values take up like half the memory size on my computer. So when storing the data in a qvd file, it does affect the size. 

2 Replies
marcus_sommer

If you keep the origin key-field (renamed) within the datamodel and adds an autonumber(key) you won't get really a benefit but if you remove the origin key-field the autonumber(key) will have 1M nurmeric values instead of 1M string-values and those numeric values doesn't need to be stored separately because the values = the pointer to the datatable.

If you monitors it by the file-size or with the mem-files you will see that the size shrinked - how much especially in regard to the overall size of your application depends on your data.

- Marcus

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Just wanted to add one more thing in addition to what Marcus has already explained, it is a Design Blog post that may help solidify things further:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Autonumber-function/ba-p/1464970

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.