Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Elapsed time calculations for data within selected date range

I have data setup as follows:

Start Date | End Date

A        |       B      

I want the user to be able to select a date range from a drop down on a sheet, and I need to calculate if A and B (dates from the data) are within the selected date range. If they are, I need to calculate B-A (time elapsed), if not, I need to calculate only the time that elapsed in the selected date range.

Example:

Dates in data: 1/10/2013 to 1/15/2013

User-selected date range: 1/1/2013 to 1/13/2013

I want to calculate the elapsed time as 1/10/2013 to 1/13/2013 (3 days)

What is the best way to do this? I'm new with qlikview, but have php programming experience. Usually I would set the user-selected date range as a variable, and then write a function to calculate the elapsed time based on the data. How is this done in qlikview?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Daniel

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

The text box will use all possible records (within your selection) for aggregation. It seems like you want to group your data, so you need to a chart and a field to group by as your dimension.

Hm, why don't you post some sample data, best using a small QV sample app, so we can help you with the charts and syntax?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Yes, you can create two input boxes for your two variables vEndDate and vStartDate, then try something like

=interval( Rangemin( vEndDate, B) - Rangemax(vStartDate, A) )

Take care that the dates entered into the variables match your standard date format set in the script.

Fields A and B needs to have a numeric representation, too, if not, parse your fields using date#() function.

Not applicable
Author

Swuehl,

Thank you for the fast reply. Do I then put this =interval(....) in the expression on a chart? How do I display the calculated values for elapsed time?

Thanks

Daniel

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Probably yes, you haven't told much about your data set (e.g. the table that holds A,B) yet.

For example, in a chart with Dimension WorkOrderID (a field I assume to be in the same table like A,B for now), just use above as expression.

Or use something like

=interval( sum(Rangemin( vEndDate, B) - Rangemax(vStartDate, A) ) )

e.g. in a textbox to sum up multiple record's time span.

Not applicable
Author

Ok. I put the interval(...) expression to display in a text box.

vStartDate = 6/4/2013

vEndDate = 6/7/2013

Text Box reads: 3

How do I know which row in the dataset is being calculated and displayed in the text box? What if I want to sum all the rows as follows:

Start Date | End Date | Calculated Value

A        |       B        |          2days

C        |       D        |          3days

Text box should read: 5 days.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

The text box will use all possible records (within your selection) for aggregation. It seems like you want to group your data, so you need to a chart and a field to group by as your dimension.

Hm, why don't you post some sample data, best using a small QV sample app, so we can help you with the charts and syntax?