I tried to export a large set of data having like 68000 rows with 42 columns. After waited around 5 mins, it pops up the "OPEN / SAVE AS" dialogue box. And when i open it, inside the excel there is only one information inside, saying: <result><message text="Session lost" /><restart/></result>
Any expert here knows what's happening?
I saw some posts teaching you to change the TimeOut parameter in the file
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\WebServer\config.xml
And i had set as <QvsTimeout>3000</QvsTimeout> but still unable to solve this problem.
Thanks a lot
Did you ever get a resolution to this?
As I'm now trying to create an extract of 100,000+ with 78 columns with the same error, running QV11.2 SR3 and adjusted the QVtimeout settings on the server but no joy.
I can export this from the server as a user, just not through IE using AJAX.
It can happen due to below reasons:
Excel 2003 limitations 65438 rows
Data size exceeds then your Free space in PC
Check for both you will find the answer.
For time being try to get the data in small intervals.
If I export the same in CSV format then also the same error will appear.
csv has limitation of 10 lakhs.
this is not the excels problem.
Thanks for the bug ID number I will follow it up with the support case I logged.
To clarify I am not expecting the file to be an .xls when exported, I am expecting a .csv. I have tested this process with 250,000 rows against 50 columns and this has exported into a .csv file. however with less rows and more columns this now fails, even though the process looks like it works (I produce a .csv) but within that is the same syntax that Herman noted.
Note that if I logon to the server locally, open up QV desktop go to the chart and press export to excel, a .csv is created (this is my temp work around). However doing this via Access Point (AJAX client) it fails, so there is a bug somewhere as a result.
I have posted the bug ID on a couple of other strings (that were related) so hopefully if enough people ask about it, then there may be a patch provided.
At a minimum I would suggest that Access point either tells the end user there is a failure in the file creation, rather than creating a small file with the above in it.
I have no idea about this. I normally just cross check the bug ID number to their new release note to see if the bug is fixed.