Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Expression assistance.

Good afternoon,

I'm new to QlikView and am having some difficulties with an expression that was created by another individual who isn't available to assist.  In the expression below I'm not certain what is taking place in the section that is bold.  I know that vMaxDate is a variable but I'm not certain what is taking place with it, particularly what is the purpose of the * between the two closing brackets within this section of the expression.

sum({<[Division ID]=P([Division ID])-{"<=8"},GM_Metric={'HomeCo Revenue'},RecordType={BUDGET},Date={">=$(=MonthStart(vMaxDate))"}*{"<=$(=vMaxDate)"},FiscalYear={$(vYear)},Month=,MonthName=,QTR=>}Amount)*-1

Any ideas on what this is trying to accomplish?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply
Not applicable
Author

Set Modifiers with Implicit Field Value Definitions

In the above examples, all field values have been explicitly defined or defined through searches. There is

however an additional way to define a set of field values by the use of a nested set definition.

In such cases, the element functions P() and E() must be used, representing the element set of possible values

and the excluded values of a field, respectively. Inside the brackets, it is possible to specify one set expression

and one field, e.g. P({1} Customer). These functions cannot be used in other expressions:

Examples:

sum( {$<Customer = P({1<Product={‘Shoe’}>} Customer)>} Sales )

returns the sales for current selection, but only those customers that ever have bought the product

‘Shoe’. The element function P( ) here returns a list of possible customers; those that are implied by

the selection ‘Shoe’ in the field Product.

sum( {$<Customer = P({1<Product={‘Shoe’}>})>} Sales )

same as above. If the field in the element function is omitted, the function will return the possible

values of the field specified in the outer assignment.

sum( {$<Customer = P({1<Product={‘Shoe’}>} Supplier)>} Sales )

returns the sales for current selection, but only those customers that ever have supplied the product

‘Shoe’. The element function P( ) here returns a list of possible suppliers; those that are implied by

the selection ‘Shoe’ in the field Product. The list of suppliers is then used as a selection in the field

Customer.

sum( {$<Customer = E({1<Product={‘Shoe’}>})>} Sales )

returns the sales for current selection, but only those customers that never bought the product ‘Shoe’.

The element function E( ) here returns the list of excluded customers; those that are excluded by the

selection ‘Shoe’ in the field Product.