Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Expression data does not correspond to Dimension value

Hi,

I'm trying to create a table that shows top 2 applicant countries but I'm having trouble determining why the pivot table data created as Expression does not display the correct values.  The table shows following data

TermTotal CountInternational
2014 Summer166489 China, 17 South Korea
2014 Fall148445 China, 5 South Korea
2015 Spring4232 China, 0 South Korea

but the correct values are only displayed when I select a particular term.  So if I select "2014 Fall," then the correct values for International is displayed

TermTotal CountInternational
2014 Fall148445 China, 10 Brazil

Currently the Term comes from a key INLINE LOAD fact table of the terms shown in the 1st table, then I have a load table with applicants' ID and Country.

I created the following variables to determine most frequent Country string and the second most frequent:

=FirstSortedValue(DEMO_PS_APP_CITIZ_CNTRY,-(aggr(count({$<DEMO_PS_APP_CITIZ_CNTRY-={"UNITED STATES"}>}DEMO_PS_APP_ID), DEMO_PS_APP_CITIZ_CNTRY)))

and

=FirstSortedValue(DEMO_PS_APP_CITIZ_CNTRY,-(aggr(count({$<DEMO_PS_APP_CITIZ_CNTRY-={"UNITED STATES"}>}DEMO_PS_APP_ID), DEMO_PS_APP_CITIZ_CNTRY)),2)

Then the International column data is filled using the following Expression:

=count({<DEMO_PS_APP_CITIZ_CNTRY={"$(vInternationalMax_AP)"}>}DEMO_PS_APP_ID)& ' ' & vInternationalMax_AP & ', ' &

count({<DEMO_PS_APP_CITIZ_CNTRY={"$(vInternationalMax2_AP)"}>}DEMO_PS_APP_ID)& ' ' & vInternationalMax2_AP

I know that somewhere in the Variables or Expressions I need to tie the Term dimension but just have not been successful.  Any help will be much appreciated!!

Also, in the load process, the Applicants table field of Term is mapped to key Term table as 'App_Term' AS 'keyTerm'.  This was done because there are other tables (admits, matrics, etc.) that need to use the same key Term fact table.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Can you post a qlikview document that demonstrates the problem?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Can you post a qlikview document that demonstrates the problem?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert,

Thanks for the offer to take a look at the problem.  I was able to create a qvw file that mimics the issue.

Thanks,

Aricin

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Ok, the expressions in the variables start with a = character. That means they're calculated outside the context of the chart. They'll have the same value wherever they are used in the document. When you select a Term, then the variable is recalculated and will consider only the Term you selected. So the values of the variables will change like you noticed.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the comment, Gysbert.

I removed the leading "=" from the variables, now the Expressions return no values by default or when I select a term.   Any other suggestion on how to go about fixing my problem?

Thanks,

Aricin