cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marco_puccetti
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

From Relational To QlikView

Hello i need some important rules (circulal references etc..) to use generally to import a relational database to a non relational Database like QlikView.

Thanks

Marco

16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

A star or maybe a snowflake schema is generally recommended for QlikView.

Search for star schema on this forum or the general web and you'll get loads of hits.

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

maxgro
MVP
MVP

you have a lot of interesting post to read

Data Modelling: Clarity vs. Speed

and the first links in Marcus_Sommer‌ doc

Get started with developing qlik datamodels

marco_puccetti
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

As regards rules to generate a DataWhareHouse model, are there any constrains related to Synthetic keys and intra Synthetic keys elements Generated?

Thanks

maxgro
MVP
MVP

First of all, you can find the synthetic keys in any Qlik model that has more than one table (star, snowflake, relational).

IMHO there are no constraints: you can keep your synthetic keys or you can remove the synthetic keys; if the model is correct, it works with the keys and without them.

Personally I usually remove the syn keys and I suggest to people starting with Qlik to remove them: in this way the associations between tables are always set by Qlik developer.

Another reason to remove syn keys is they make harder to understand the Qlik model (using the table viewer), above all when there are a lot of syn keys.

If you have time (a lot of time) read this

Should We Stop Worrying and Love the Synthetic Key?

marco_puccetti
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hello, i need to know if this model that i have created is considerable star-schema like or some adjustment must be made (the dimensions table can be connected?).

Immagine.png

Thanks

Marco

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi Marco,

that would be considered a 'snowflake', should be fine

HTH - Andy

Ha - looked a bit closer = STAR SCHEMA!

avinashelite

Hi Marco,

This model is fine, I feel its a START schema

marco_puccetti
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Notice that the dimension tables are connected.

Marco