Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

General Script error - storing QVD file

Does anyone know where to find all the possible causes of the "General Script error", especially when it's trying to store to a qvd?  I have been having this issue pop up every now and then and it happened again today.  I have 13 sequencially scheduled jobs (qvws) that have been running perfectly for over a month. All they do is pull new records from the source, append/concatenate the data from previous qvd for only the records that don't exist in memory, then save the data back to the qvd file.  Today one of those jobs failed, when it is trying to store the file.  I ran that same job with the client and it ran fine.  I know I don't have any memory issues or file size issues, because I went back to my schedule and manually started the job following the failed job.  Eight of the following jobs ran fine and then another job failed with the same error. One of the jobs that ran successfully created a 3GB QVD with no problems.  I have seen a lot of comments on this issue and it always seems that the issue is with the server.  Any help would be appreciated...This is the last part of the script that is in all my qvws that create the qvd files:

4/18/2013 4:36:02 PM: 0071  Concatenate

4/18/2013 4:36:02 PM: 0072  LOAD *

4/18/2013 4:36:02 PM: 0073  FROM

4/18/2013 4:36:02 PM: 0074  "SourceData\AssessmentsFact.qvd" (QVD)

4/18/2013 4:36:02 PM: 0075  Where NOT exists("Assessment Detail ID")

4/18/2013 4:36:02 PM:        39 fields found: Assessment ID, Assessment Detail ID, Compliance ID, Compliance Issue Date, Compl Issued Flag, Compliance Due Date, Jurisdiction ID, Jurisdiction Code, Jurisdiction, ARTV Type ID, ARTV Type Code, ARTV Type, Account Group ID, Account Group Code, Account Group, Account ID, Account Code, Account, Assessment Number, Assessment Date, Assessment Entered Date, Non Case Flag, System Created Flag, Payment Allowed Flag, Collection Eligible Flag, Collection Sent Flag, Account Total, Paid To Date, Balance, ARTV_Mandatory Flag, Assess Create Date, Assess Create By, Assess Create User, Assess Update Date, Assess Change By, Assess Change User, Assess Created By Program, Assess Changed By Program, Assess Load Date, 15,829,773 lines fetched

4/18/2013 4:36:38 PM: 0077  STORE AssessmentsFactQvd into "E:\QlikViewData\SourceDocuments\Manatee Jobs\SourceData\AssessmentsFact.qvd" (QVD)

4/18/2013 4:36:48 PM:       General Script Error

4/18/2013 4:36:48 PM:       Execution Failed

4/18/2013 4:36:48 PM:      Execution finished.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Most probable cause is that the file is in use by another process.

It might be another task, antivirus, backup software, etc.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Most probable cause is that the file is in use by another process.

It might be another task, antivirus, backup software, etc.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Also, make sure UAC is disabled. If the file was created by another user tasks may fail trying to overwrite it.

Not applicable
Author

The file is not being used by another process or being accessed by another user.  We run our backups at 11 PM, there is no antivirus running and the jobs are normally scheduled for 5 AM.  I'm puzzled mostly, because on the server I have the logging level on debug and the server logs don't say anything.  I get more information in the file log, but that is still vague.  Also, nobody else creates these files, since I am the person that tests, publishes and schedules all jobs to production.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Daniel,

The only problem is that I don't have any antivirus issue or other user issue cdreating these files.  My responsibility is to test, publish and schedule all things that go to production.  The jobs are scheduled to run at 5 AM and they just create the qvds.  After all the qvds are created we have jobs that run to refresh the customer qvws.  Again, the puzzling part is nothing has changed on the server for the last month.  I wish the logs would provide a little more information, because they are set to debug level on the server, but the file log provides more information.  But again, that error message is pretty vague.