Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lblancher
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Get Current Dimension Value

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out how to display a value that accumulates in a chart regardless of the selection. My table looks like this

Date Value

01/01/2000,5

01/01/2001,5

01/01/2002,2

01/01/2003,7

01/01/2004,9

01/01/2005,8

01/01/2006,6

01/01/2007,5

01/01/2008,1

01/01/2009,3

01/01/2010,4

01/01/2000,5

When I have not selected any date ranges, the Full Accumulation option works fine. But once I select a date range, the accumulation only works from the first value in the selections. I need the value of the accumulation to stay the same, I am just looking for the chart to show a smaller subset of the range. I was thinking I could use set analysis with something like sum(<$[Date] = {"<=CurrentDimensionValue"}>), but I'm not sure how to retrive the CurrentDimensionValue. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lucas Blancher

BizXcel Inc.

2 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

There's no way to reference the current dimension value in set analysis. In fact, the set is only calculated once, and for the entire chart.

Attached is what I consider to be a bad solution, but that may be better than no solution. Make a date island - the same dates, but disconnected from your data model. Use THAT date as the dimension. Then use an expression like sum(if("Date"<="Other Date",Value)). The big problem here is inefficiency. No problem for a sample like this, but could get ugly for a large data set. Another problem is usability, where selections in the chart aren't selecting the real data field, and vice versa. In the attached example, I try to address this a bit through conditional set analysis in the chart:

if(getselectedcount("Date")
,sum({<"Other Date"="Date","Date"=>} if("Date"<="Other Date","Value"))
,sum( if("Date"<="Other Date","Value")))

But selecting dates in the chart still won't affect OTHER charts, and things can still get a little funny. Another approach would be to ONLY let them select "Other Date", and do ALL of your connections via set analysis or IFs, but that can be a big maintenance headache.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better solution. I've tried half-heartedly in the past, and not succeeded. I say half-heartedly because I've never needed to do this for my own applications. It's just the kind of thing that should have a clean, simple and efficient solution, so I occasionally poke at it.

Hopefully someone else knows a good solution. I'd love to see it, even if it makes me feel stupid when I see how simple it is. Wink

tabletuner
Creator III
Creator III

Dear John,

I have a chart. It has an expression with a 'year-week' field used in a set analysis to calculate the previous year-week values. Do i understand you correctly that QlikView doesnt allow this field 'year-week' to be used in the dimension of this very same chart?

If so, this would solve my following topic:

http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/25197/96182.aspx#96182

I'd really like you to reply... 🙂