Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Get list of script tab names?

Is there a function to get a list of the --script-- tab names?

Use case: Writing an extract tables to qvds app and there will be one script tab per d/b table.  I would like to put a list of all of the script tab names (aka: database tables) on the presentation tab.

John

4 Replies
tedalien
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

I am asking a similar question.

Listing QVD and File Extensions in Script

Some solution is available but I haven't found yet a solution like what you describe which is also what I am looking for.

Principle of Solutions :

1. Put all your loaded QVDs into a same directory and list those (see answer of Martin Re: Listing QVD and File Extensions in Script )

2. If you are Happy only having table's names you can use a list box with &Table in the front end or do it as script (3)

For vTable = 0 to NoOfTables()-1
LET vTableName = TableName($(vTable)) ; 

[Data Sources]:

Load '$(vTableName)' as [Table Name],
'$(vTable)'
as [Table Nr],
filename() as [Filename]
next vTable

4. You can set in each table the fields as below and eventually you can run in the script a concatenate table search to get those names into one single table.

[My Table 1]

LOAD

[%KEY] as [%My KEY],
[My Field 1],
filename( ) as [My File Name],
FilePath() as [My File Path],
FileExtension() as [My File Extension]
FROM path/My_Table.QVD (qvd) ;

5. You can read the loading log file to gather the QVDs names. You just need to have a clean script to avoid double work on looking for the right field.

However I am still going and looking for a more direct solution, like load all QVDs names into a table and ignore if tables are joined ...

I hope this helps,

Alen

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply, Alen.

We are using a dual stage .qvd process - one (or more) extract apps and then one (or more) transform apps.

re: solution 1: Because the .qvds from multiple extract apps are saved into a common folder, this would not give us a per extract app list & status..

re: solution 2/3: Because we load each table from the d/b, save it to a .qvd, then drop that table, this would not work.

re: solution 4: I do not want to modify the tables in any way in the extract process.

However, you did give me an idea.  Just before I drop each table, I could grab that table name (and possible # rows) and insert it into a TabNameTable and display that.  I think I can generalize it enough so it would not need to be customized for each tab/table.  This only gives me the table names and not the tab names, but that is a reasonable compromise.

John

Not applicable
Author

I added this code snippet to every load / store we do and added an object on the presentation page of the qvd extract app to show the list of all tables loaded in this app.

I was unable to find a way IN THE SCRIPT to get the number of rows in a table.  NoOfRows does not work in scripts, just objects.

John

STORE ...

// ----------------------------------------

// Add this table name to the resident table

LET vTableName = TableName(NoOfTables()-1);  // get the most recently created table name

TableName:

Load * INLINE [TableName

'$(vTableName)'];

// ----------------------------------------

DROP Table ...

tedalien
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi John,

indeed it sounds as a good compromise.

For the number of rows in the table, have you tried to get the RowNo(TOTAL) and then peek the max?

Alternatively you could assign '1' as [RowNr] and count.

Just thoughts as I am not sure it is streightforward to be done also including the variable.

Alen