Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Grouping customers based on their actions

Hi All,

I would like to be able to make arbitrary sets of customers who have performed some action, and be able to put them into a chart. Let me illustrate.

E.g. I want to be able to group my customers into those who have bought product A, product B, product C or None of the Above. Then I'd like to show my sales for each. Result should look something like:

Group Product A     1M

Group Product B     1.4M

Group Product C     2M

None of the Above     10M

The sets are not necessarily mutually exclusive, so a customer can be in Group Product A as well as Group Product B, if she happened to have bought both products.

The groupings should also take into account any selections, e.g. time period selected. So if a user chose July 2014, then the groupings should reflect those who bought a product in July 2014. The final aim is to be able to compare Lifetime Values based on customer behavior.

Thanks all.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_casselman
Creator
Creator

Hi,

A solution for 'row level formulas' is automatically generating all possible formulas and put them in a 'pick, match' formula.

Suppose you have 3 products: A, B and C, you should use straight table with the product as dimension and the following formula as expression:

pick(match(IslandProduct,'A','B','C'),sum({<Customer=P({<Product={'A'}>})>}Sales),sum({<Customer=P({<Product={'B'}>})>}Sales),sum({<Customer=P({<Product={'C'}>})>}Sales))

This should work for 3 products.

But, as you mentioned there are a lot more products. In this case you can generate the necessary formula by creating a variable vFormula with the following expression (including the single quotes when entering the formula) :

'pick(match(IslandProduct,'&concat(chr(39)&IslandProduct&chr(39),',')&'),'&concat('sum({<Customer=P({<Product={'&chr(39)&IslandProduct&chr(39)&'}>})>}Sales)',',')&')'

Then make the straight table with Product as dimension and =$(vFormula) as expression.

You get as result a table with the sum of sales of the customers that have the product of the row.

This solution generates a long formula, so thousands of products might not work or work slow, but a hundred products should work fine.

In attachement you will find a test dashboard with 3 products (just add more customers and products to test more products, I tested it with over 20 products).

Mark

View solution in original post

16 Replies
jyothish8807
Master II
Master II

Hi Robert,

Try like this in straight chart:

In Dimension:

1. Take your Product as dimension.

2. aggr(Customer,Product)

exp:

Sum(sales)

Hope it works.

Regards

KC

Best Regards,
KC
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You could create these groups in the script itself.

For eg: if you have Product and Customer in a table.

then while loading add a new field as below.

if(Product='A','Group A',if(Product='B','Group B',if(Product='C','Group C'))) as Group

Not applicable
Author

I don't think I can do that, because the groupings need to be arbitrary based on other selections.

jyothish8807
Master II
Master II

Can you please share your app? That will be helpful.

Regards

KC

Best Regards,
KC
Not applicable
Author

I am trying your solution as described above. For some reason, it's not giving me the answers I expect, but it seems to be on the right track.

I'll create a sample application and share it which will illustrate the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This would need to be applied to each expression, here's a sales example (total spend per customer - not just their spend on that product)

Sales For customers who have purchase Product A:

sum({$<Customer=P({$<Product={'Product A'}>})>}Sales)

Sales For customers who have purchase Product B:

sum({$<Customer=P({$<Product={'Product B'}>})>}Sales)

Not applicable
Author

The limitation with set analysis is that I have to explicitly set them up myself. In my example I put 3 groups but the reality is that there's thousands. Products are also added dynamically in the source system.

I was trying to get to a solution using the P() type of expressions but hit a brick wall because of this problem.

jyothish8807
Master II
Master II

Hi Robert,

I guess it can be achieved by using pivot table:

PFA

Regards

KC

Best Regards,
KC
Not applicable
Author