cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Help with QV Function Survey

I was recently working with a customer developing training curriculum and the question was asked "what expression functions do most developers use". I thought it was a question worth getting a specific answer to. So I'm creating a community project to gather data on what QV functions and features people use.

Please help out by running the attached QVW against your installation's QVWs. The scanner will gather anonymous information and produce a QVD that should be emailed to me per the instructions in the file.

- The scanner runs fast -- about 60 QVWs per minute or better.

- The survey QVD contains only counts of function usage -- such as how many time sum() is used.

- No private information is included in the survey QVD that you return to me. There are no qvw names, no userids, no expressions no fieldnames or data.

- I will make the collected data freely available to the community for analysis.

- I prefer that you run against your production or QA, just to eliminate the extra copies and backups that appear in a dev environment. If you can't scan production, please go for the cleanest directories possible.

Why should you take the time to help me on this?

1. You may gain some insights from the data.

2. I help you out with free tools like Document Analyzer, QVPR Analysis and the QlikViewCookbook. Time to return the favor.

Thanks in advance,

-Rob

Updated scanner to scan contents of variables for Function names.

Updated scanner to include expressions in text objects.

50 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi Rob, I can help with the spanish translation

Objeto Marcador = Bookmark object

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Thanks Ruben!

-Rob

michael123
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Mosaikdiagram (Swedish) = Mekko chart.

/Michael

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

India has checked in! (Although I know there are more QV Customers there....). Italy is making a strong showing.

Argentina1
Australia1
Belgium1
Canada1
Croatia1
India1
Ireland1
Italy3
Netherlands2
Norway1
Poland1
Romania1
Spain2
Sweden3
Turkey1
United Kingdom4
United States21

Some interesting preliminary results:

You might have guessed that sum() is the number #1 used function. What function do you think is #2?

Text Object and List Box are the number #1 & #2 most used objects. What object is #3?

More data! More data! Please submit if you haven't done so already, Remember that:

- Only anonymous data is collected. No labels, names, expressions, fieldname, document names are collected.

- The entire dataset will be made available to the community for analysis when the collection is complete.

Thanks,

Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is Germany, Austria, France, Middle East?

My guess about functions: if()

Objects: straight table

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Michael,

Correct that if() is number#2. (Results are preliminary, still sifting outliers)

Function Count All Sites Rank Highest Rank Rank 1 Rank 2 Rank 3 Rank 4 Rank 5 Lowest Rank
sum5932401180%17%2%4
if2838752113%46%35%7%4
max1315163217%13%30%28%5
count97679414%13%37%24%22%5
num73201512%7%15%37%39%5

For Objects, Straight Table comes in at #4. Anyone else guess what the #3 object is?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My second choice for Object #3 is input box.

(Not a pie chart please!)

And, I'm surprised to see num() in top five.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

The #3 object is....Button.

Input Box is #1 for one submitter, but typically around #12 for the other sites.

There are some more surprises in the top ten Functions -- I'm still sifting the outliers but will publish some more preliminaries soon.

-Rob

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

I'm getting "Cruscotto" as an Object Type from Italy. Can an Italian speaker tell me if this is a Native QV Object type and if so what is the English name? maxgro‌?

maxgro
MVP
MVP

cruscotto (image from a car) is a set of indicatori (or charts)

speedometer     = tachimetro

traffic light      = semaforo

1.png