Contributor

Hide empty bars in chart

Dear all,
I have a issue with a bar-chart. In my example I have two Dimensions
- Department
- Code

and Expression
- Count(ID).

Result is a bar-chart with empty bars for Departments, because not all Departments have the same codes.

Please find attached a example. How can I hide this NULL-bars?

Thanks in advance,
Josef

4 Replies
Victor_Alumanah
Creator
Creator

You can go in to the properties and change it to a Stacked bar chart.

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_0.png

While we teach we learn
AjosefMD
Contributor
Contributor
Author

For my main application I can not use stacked bar Chart, because there are many different Codes...

Victor_Alumanah
Creator
Creator

I have come across this issue before but never found a solution without stacking it. another option if your data is not large would be the diagram(Grid chart) below, not the ideal i know but I have included it in case it works for someone else.

clipboard_image_0.png

While we teach we learn
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

The best I have to try to explain things is something I grabbed from the Help:

"If this check box is marked, all combinations of the dimension fields associated with only null values in all fields in all expressions will be disregarded in the calculation. This option is selected by default. Turning it off can be useful only in special cases, e.g. if you want to count null values in a chart."

The underlying issue is that all of the dimensions across the expression are not null, only some, therefore the nulls are not suppressed.  Per the other poster, I am not aware of a means to change this behavior, believe you would have to work on the data model somehow to accommodate things.  Maybe one of the folks that is a better developer than am I can expand further here.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.