Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Hiding Chart

Good day,

wanted to find out if its possible to hide a chart table when no selections have been made,

basically i do not want the error "Out of object memory" to be displayed or to even allow Qlkivew to reach a point that the error "Out of object memory" is displayed. I want Qlikview to only start displaying information on the chart table once selections have been made. if no selections are made then the chart should simple state "Make Selections".

regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Attached is an example that you can take a look and build according to your needs. Hope this helps:

HidingChart01.jpg

View solution in original post

11 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Instead of hiding the chart, I suggest you add a Calculation Condition to the chart. This can be done on the General tab.

Next you can change the Error Message of the calculation condition to tell your user what he/she should do in order to get results on the chart.

May you live in interesting times!
adamdavi3s
Master
Master

Expanding on the above you might not want to let the chart get to the error stage as it might take some time for it to calculate to get to that point.

In that case I would add a show condition to the chart (layout tab) to hide the chart and put the opposite logic on a text object which tells the users what to do.

For example:

to hide if no selections have been made in a field: GetSelectedCount(fieldname) > 0

to hide if you want to only show when say 10,000 rows are available: getpossiblecount(countfield) <10,000

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Adam,

Hiding the chart is fine but Onno's suggestion is solid as well. The calculation condition will be evaluated before an attempt is made to calc the chart -- so no error stage will be reached.

It's a bit confusing that the message for "Calculation condition unfufilled" is under the Error Message button. It's not really an "error", but that's the nomenclature.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

I totally agree with Rob: Calling that text an "Error Message" is very confusing indeed .

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Adam Davies wrote:

For example:

to hide if no selections have been made in a field: GetSelectedCount(fieldname) > 0

to hide if you want to only show when say 10,000 rows are available: getpossiblecount(countfield) <10,000

I suggest instead of putting those examples in the Hide Condition, to put them in the Calculation Condition.

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Attached is an example that you can take a look and build according to your needs. Hope this helps:

HidingChart01.jpg

didierodayo
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Pusho,

this should resolve your issue.

In the property of your chart >>>Layout  and on the layout page you will find Show.

Set the Show to Conditional and in the box type len(GetCurrentSelections())<>0

Now the chart will show only if there is a selection.getcurrentselection.PNG

adamdavi3s
Master
Master

Sorry I didn't mean in any way that Onno's suggestion wasn't valid and indeed it is in true terms the 'correct' way to handle things.

However sometimes it is easier to make things a little more obvious and 'in your face' for users which I don't think those "error" messages always are, so was purely presenting an alternative.

This is one of the reasons why I like Qlik, there are many different ways to do things depending on the situation and you know you'll always get a healthy debate on the best method

Not applicable
Author

Thank you all, i resolved my issue by adding the Calculation Condition