cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sicilianif
Creator II
Creator II

Horizontal scroll bar on straight table

I have two straight tables. One with a horizontal scroll bar the other without. I would like them both to have it.

I have checked every setting multiple times, and can't find why there is a difference.

We are currently running version 8.5.

Any thoughts?

7 Replies
Not applicable

Under Chart Properties, on the Layout tab, there is an Options section. There is a Size to Data checkbox. If this is checked, the chart will grow with the data. If this is unchecked, then you can define the size on the Caption tab or using the GUI to resize.

The scroll bar will only appear if the data is bigger than the chart area you are allowing. You could have Size to Data unchecked, but also not have a scroll bar, because the chart doesn't need it.

sicilianif
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I have the Size to Data unchecked. I cannot resize it horizontally using the mouse or using the width option on the Caption tab.

Not applicable

Resize the individual columns. If you make one so big that the chart expands past its boundaries, then you should get a scroll bar.

sicilianif
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I think I figured it out.

All but one of my columns are dimensions.QlikView only gives you a scroll bar for the expressions. If you have enough expressions and move at least one of them to the middle of the chart, you can adjust your boundries and it will give you a horizontal scroll bar. It appears that it will only shrink down in width as far as the total width of all your dimensions (or pretty close). So I guess I just have to look at converting some of my dimensions into expressions.

Does anyone know if this is changed in 9?

Not applicable

It's the same on 9 SR3.

Not applicable

So I still have not found a way to easily get a horizontal scroll bar, but I found a work-around. When creating a Straight table I noticed only the expressions columns will be scrollable. So here is my solution:

Remove some of your dimensions and add them a expressions (i.e. just put the field name in the expression dialog box). Once you have applied these changes, drag a dimension into the expressions section, and it will make the scroll bar available for the whole table.

Note: this may have some adverse affects on the actual table but generally works with no problems.

jcampbell
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

I'm having this same issue but swapping out dimensions and expressions does not work as it collapses most of my data and therefore is not viewable. Still looking for a decent work-around or a solution from QlikView.