Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I play videos in the video player that are hosted on my hard drive (C:\Videos\sample.mp4)

How do I play videos in the video player that are hosted on my hard drive (C:\Videos\sample.mp4).  Attached is all the files to reproduce it,,

8 Replies
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Hi Chris,

That extension does not play local files stored on your hard drive. Since extensions run inside a web browser they do not have access to your local file system as a security measure.

You can however host the videos through a web server, either the one that ships with qlikview server or IIS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Alex,

I've stored the file in the QView Server but I can't get the video to load. When I try to enter the path directly in the browser URL bar, I get the error message below. Any ideas? I've added MIME type for mp4 to no avail.

'The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.'

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Go it to work the MIME Type for mp4 is 'video/mp4 .mp4'

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Strangely, .MOV files work too

Julie_Main
Employee
Employee

I've got the same problem - I'm trying to run a different video through the video player - I'm running on 11.2 SR5 and have installed the Video player but when I replace the url it doesn't work, I just get the following:

Blank page.jpg

This is whether I try to use a file stored on my internal webserver or try for one hosted on a webpage (i.e. http://clips.vorwaerts-gmbh.de/big_buck_bunny.ogv).

I have tried the following steps:

Step 1:

Use the above Video Player Extension Object.

Step 2 :

Set up a new folder on the QlikView Web Server ..

Error 2.jpg

Error 3.jpg

Step 3:

In the extension object reference the relevant mp4 file ..

http://localhost/qlikview/movies/DeathStart.mp4

Error 4.jpg

Step4:

Click on play ..

Blank page.jpg

The Play Triangle that was originally in the middle of the object has now been replaced by a circle and nothing plays if I click on the play in the bottom left hand corner ..

What I'd like to do is to get this extension working and then use a variable to select which file should be run when chosen ..   I've got a similiar extension that does this for YouTube Video's so once I've got this working should be able to adapt the code ..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Julie,

Try opening your QVW in the server (not just web view). I get a black screen in Web View. You might need to copy the extension in the server ProgramData too.

Good luck!

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

You have to enable mp4 as an acceptable mime type on your webserver and through QMC.

If you are hosting qlikview through the in-built webserver I believe the changed in QMC are enough. If you are hosting it through iis/apache you would have to enable mp4 as a mime type for your site also.

The correct mime type for a .mp4 extension would be video/mp4

And to be honest - the extension posted in this thread is not something I monitor so it might be an outdated version.

I'm currently in the process of migrating things over to Github so you will find the latest release there soon, at which point I'll update the original thread.

luis_idrovo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hello everybody, can someone try this succesfully? I followed all recomendations including the mime type for a .mp4   but I couldn't do it.

I would appreciate your help, Thanks

tmp.PNG.png