Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psankepalli
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

How to Encrypt file name while downloading from Server?

Hello Experts,

I have a Powerpoint file in server , File name is ABC.pptx. I am downloading this file from Access Point. 

In QVW -> Button -> Properties -> Action -> Open url .

This Open URL pointing to the ABC.pptx file.

When I download this file its downloading with the Actual name (ABC.pptx), which I don't want. I want file name should be some dynamic encrypted name . How to achieve this?

Thanks

Kesav

9 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Where is the file residing? Does your load script have the rights to rename the files. If it does you could rename the regular file names during the load script execution by using Hash256()-function and turn that into a valid URL.

psankepalli
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Petter,

Thanks for your reply.

This file is residing in Virtual folder at server where QMC installed. I am not using any script for this file. we have all the rights to Virtual folder. how to rename this file while sownloading?

Thanks

Kesav

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Are you using IIS for your web server?

-Rob

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

As I see it you have two options:

1) Rename the original files into something new that satisfy your requirements in hiding the original filename

Your load script could rename the orginal filenames in a loop and make all references to these renamed files which would work without a whole lot of effort. I did this for a customers extranet-site running the QlikView Extranet Server and it works perfectly well.

2) Dynamically renaming - that is what is called URL-rewriting and requires that you use Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) to be the replacement of the QlikView WebServer (which is default). On installation your QlikView server environement can use IIS. Then you can write an ISAPI-filter to do the dynamic renaming (URL-rewriting). If you have never done it it is not trivial. Google "URL-rewriting IIS asp.net" and you find links explaining everything you need to do.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Maybe this could be of help to you - depending on your approach:

2015-11-21 #1.PNG

psankepalli
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Rob,

Yes I am using IIS Server.

Thanks

Kesav

psankepalli
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Petter,

Thank you for your answer. this is very informative.

I am able to encrypt file name. Here I am facing challenges

How do I pass this encrypted file name to Button -> Action -> OpenURL.

Please help me

Thanks

KR

psankepalli
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Petter,

I am able to pass variable at Open URL. I can see the encrypted file name at URL. but file is not downloading. do I need to follow any steps here? Please advise.

Thanks

KR

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

What do you mean by "encrypt file name"? Where do you change the file name - it must be done either at the file level - on your file system (or with URL-rewriting in IIS). You can't just "rename" your files in the front end. The information I sent was meant as a concept to test out a way of how to get a new name for an existing file name. To implement this approach you will have to do the same thing in the load script.