Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilsonwebb
Partner - Contributor III

How to Handle Null Values Consistenly

Hi There

I wanted to know what the best way might be to handle null values in a model. The result would be to optimize the model performance. Because there are so many ways of going about this, what we are looking for is a more consistent way of resolving this.

Thanks,

Wilson

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

I think there is no general approach. It will always depend on your data and your requirements to calculate/display anything on them.

The Qlik default behaviour of not storing NULL's and deduced from it of not being able to display or select NULL's is probably the most efficient way to handle it and is therefore the best approach from a performance point of view.

This means the general approach to resolve all NULL's with real values is IMO not useful. But if there are good reasons to replace NULL's in a few fields, for example to get them selectable than it should be done and shouldn't be a problem. Which way here the most suitable is depends from where and how the NULL's are created. I think this will be helpful to understand the NULL handling in QlikView.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

2 Replies
marcus_sommer

I think there is no general approach. It will always depend on your data and your requirements to calculate/display anything on them.

The Qlik default behaviour of not storing NULL's and deduced from it of not being able to display or select NULL's is probably the most efficient way to handle it and is therefore the best approach from a performance point of view.

This means the general approach to resolve all NULL's with real values is IMO not useful. But if there are good reasons to replace NULL's in a few fields, for example to get them selectable than it should be done and shouldn't be a problem. Which way here the most suitable is depends from where and how the NULL's are created. I think this will be helpful to understand the NULL handling in QlikView.

- Marcus

wilsonwebb
Author

Hi Marcus,

Thank you so much for this. It is clear.

Thanks,

Regards,

Wilson