Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to connect a shared .qvw file to the general database?

HI,

I'm new to QlikView..Pls let me know, how to connect a shared (existing) .QVW file to the general database through ODBC driver.

Is there any need to change the props.qvs file?

10 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

First of all, the ODBC must exist in the computer that is going to perform reloads. You can create it in the Administrative Tools, Data Sources of the computer.

You need to open the QVW file in the development application (QlikVIew Desktop). Then go to the script editor and before the SQL SELECT statement, click on the "Database" Dropdow, select ODBC button, set username and password if needed.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

I tried what you mentioned ...I'm sure that the odbc connection established well and able to view the tables...Thanks a lot 🙂 .....But i'm still confused how to link this individual .qvw file to this database,because once I establish the connection and click on RELOAD button I couldn't see any changes in the list box where i'm suppose to retrieve data....

Pls clarify my knowledge ,whether only a single .qvw file is more enough to link the DB(which is in remote server) or we need to change any script(.qvs) file...?

Once again I thank for replying Miguel:)

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

QlikView (QVW files) pulls data from the database only "on demand" that is, when you click on the "Reload" button, or it's done by the QlikView Server if you have it.

So, the ODBC line is needed to allow the document (QVW file) to get data from the database. A very basic example of script should be

ODBC CONNECT TO ODBCName; Table:LOAD *;SQL SELECT *FROM Database.Table; STORE Table INTO Table.qvd; // Stores the previous into a file in the hard disk DROP TABLE Table; // Removes the table from memory

It's not "linking" the file, because the data will not be updated until you reload the document.

Usually I create one extraction document that extracts from database and generates QVD files (a very fast QlikView data storage file) and another one with the charts that uses that QVD information.

If you need to create to different data sources, you can set as many ODBC CONNECT sentences as you need, QlikView will disconnect from previous when it reads another ODBC CONNECT.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

Miguel,

I don't have Qlikview Server,How can I create an extraction documents?....

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

All the above is to be done on the computer that will reload the document (or the development computer), nothing to do with the QlikView Server.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

🙂 Thank you

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

If there are multiple data sources viz., SAP, Oracle, SQL, Excel..is it possible to link all these sources to one Qlikview desktop and analyse data?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rajyalakshmi,

I am not sure about SAP ..But i have worked with excel and oracle in a single .qvw file...

neetu_singh
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

Ya you can link all these sources to one qlikview application but different connection string.