Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mee-qlik
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

How to create a cycle dimension using $field

Hi guy,

my goal is to create a cycle dimension with ALL dimension present in Qlikview file using system tabel $field.

I tried with $field or concat($field,'|') or concat($field,',') etc but no success.

It's possible?

9 Replies
marcus_sommer

I don't think that's possible even if you add the missing aggr() which is needed to create a dimension because it's then just a single dimension and not a cyclic group of multiple dimensions.

What's the aim behind of your question?

- Marcus

mee-qlik
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

The aim is to have a table with an espression that can be calculate with any of the dimension,

Customer , Nation, Area ...  without need to list the dimension in the definition of cyclical group.

marcus_sommer

You could use something like: 

= [$(=$Field)]

as Dimension and then toggling between the various fields with a listbox with $Field and the enabled option of show only one value.

- Marcus

mee-qlik
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Yes, thank you.

This was my first solution, but I'm interesting even to use $field directly in the cyclical dimension , if possible.

marcus_sommer

Your screenshot don't show a cyclic dimension else the properties from an inputbox with predefined values … which kind of calculations and views should be done with the $Field and which couldn't be reached with the mentioned listbox-approach or with just with "normal" objects?

- Marcus

mee-qlik
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, with the input box I set four variables used to set 4 dimensions that the user can choose to have a "quadrant"  (see attached file) of his business. It's simple and useful because I do not have to list ALL the dimension of the qlikview schema in the predefined values, potentially interesting the user, and it is dynamics if the schema changes.

My question, is possible to create a cyclic dimension containing ALL the dimension , more or less in the same way I have in the drop down list box?

marcus_sommer

I don't think that's possible to create such a cyclic dimension group directly with the native features. You may be able to do it with macros but probably it won't be very easy.

More common to the use of variables to enable dynamically views (dimensions as well as expressions) is the use of extra dimensions/expression-fields within one or more loosen tables in the datamodel which are then displayed as listboxes in the UI to control what the charts should be showing.

There are various postings here within the community which cover this topic. But this means also that you need to predefine in some way what should be available. Personally I would go even further I say you should always take the efforts to predefine which views are available/possible - the attempt to automate it and/or to simplify it isn't only expensive in the development it will also have more disadvantages as benefits for the user if there objects which show anything useless or even wrong because without carefully testing all views you couldn't ensure that everything worked.

- Marcus

mee-qlik
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thank you for reply.

Yes, I think with macro, using CreateGroup,isCycling=true, addField etc

Thanks for the helpful tips

-Enrico

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

It would be great if you can close out the thread by marking one of Marcus' replies as the solution or write up what you ended up deciding to do and then use the Accept as Solution button on that post to mark it and close the thread.  It is greatly appreciated if you do close out the thread rather than leaving it open.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.