Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

How to quickly rename all fields in a table?

Hi,

I have two tables, one from 2014 and one from 2014, which I'd like to join.

They  both have a unique ID in every line, so that shouldn't be a problem.

To avoid any premature linking of tables, however, I have qualified the table from 2014, so all fields in that table are qualified.

They will not lend themselves to joining thus without renaming.

=> Is there any way to rename all the fields of a table in one step without the need to name them all?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Ah, okay, that's done.

I just realized I don't need to - I´only have to rename those fields I want to join on. That's only one anyway 😉

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Colin-Albert

Can you reload the 2014 data to a qvd without using Qualify?

I never store qualified fields in a QVD as it then becomes very inflexible. If the QVD is unqualified, you can then decide if you want to load the data using qualify or not. Once the data is stored using qualify, removing the prefix is not easy.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I haven't yet come to the point of storing the data in a qvd. It is still in processing - though I have done that once before, just so the table can't get in the way while other tables are concatenated and joined. I stored it and deleted it and later in the script I loaded it again. But I'm not at that point just yet.

Thanks for the tip, though!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Ah, okay, that's done.

I just realized I don't need to - I´only have to rename those fields I want to join on. That's only one anyway 😉

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Yep, speaking of the devil ...

I realized I really have to store away and drop that table temporarily so it can't get in the way.