Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

How to secure a qvd file?

Hi,

in the meantime, all of my apps make use of at least some personell data which is queried directly from the database.

I have placed great value on security all along:

- In all apps using it, the connect_string is in a hidden script and only I have the key.

- The app for HR, which is all about personell data, is protected with a logon and password (two sets, one for me and one for the rest of the circus_crew)

- In no case is any personell data stored in a qvd file like we usually do (we have a multi-tier architecture), but I chose to rather query the DB directly every time I reload an app.

- BINARY loading is prohibited with the app for HR.

<=> Now, however, I am facing a different scenario:

- I have a rather complex code (involving a sub and running in total for approx. 12min)

=> That code is part of a diagram that will be needed in two different apps

=> Now I face a decision whether to go for storing the data in a qvd (which would significantly reduce the time either app takes to load) or not (for security reasons).

Can anybody tell me what are the possibilities of securing a qvd file so that

- it can only be read (via physical directory_access or anything) by those two apps is intended for and NO OTHER and

- it cannot be read using any special tools like the qvd_reader (I don't know whether you could copy the contents of a qvd file read with it, but I don't want to risk anything)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Basically there are no security measures built into the QVD concept. The idea has all along been that the QVD should be a "binary csv" that loads fast. So if you need to protect them, you need to do it through the operating system, i.e. assigning file permissions.

HIC

View solution in original post

3 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Basically there are no security measures built into the QVD concept. The idea has all along been that the QVD should be a "binary csv" that loads fast. So if you need to protect them, you need to do it through the operating system, i.e. assigning file permissions.

HIC

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Henric,

I was afraid so. Well, thank you for clarifying this.

In that case I'm not going to do it and we'll just have to live with a slightly longer load_time of those apps.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

jerifortune
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Henric,

Has anything changed regarding QVD security? Most client has a security policy that data at rest most be encrypted. Has Qlik taken this into consideration for a propriety encryption method rather than Operating Systems permission or file encryption?  Thank you