cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcandeo
Creator III
Creator III

How to select the amount accumulated in a specific month

In a dinamic table I need to set an expression that summarizes the amount till the selected month.

If I use this expression:

sum ({$<Month = {'<=$(=max(Month))'}} amount

It works if Month is a numeric field (eg: 01, 02, 03, ...).

But it Month is defined as alpha, this expression doesn´t works (eg: jan, feb, mar, ...)

How can I make this  works in an alpha field without changing it to numeric Please?

4 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

There is a small difference between ' and " when using Set Analysis.  The " runs the search engine and is necessary if you are going to use <, >, <= or >= in your Set Analysis.

So, try the following

sum ({$<Month = {"<=$(=max(Month))"}} amount)

Karl

rcandeo
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Unfortunatelly change ' by " did not worked.

If I select "jan" and put this expression

sum ({$<Month = {"*"}} amount), I receive the amount from january and february,

But If I put this expression

sum ({$<Month = {"<=$(=max(Month))"}} amount), I receive a null value -> -

Any idea?

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

How are you generating your Month field?  Do you use the month() function in QV?

What I'm trying to find out is if the Month field is just a string or a dual type that contains the strings and a number behind it.  If it has a number behind the string, you should be able to create a text box with the following expression and get the number of the Month as a result:

=num(Month)

If that expression gives you a null value, and you can't change the script, I would try to use another field like Date.

For example,

sum ({$<Month=, Date= {"<=$(=max(Date))"}} amount)

The Month= is necessary to ignore the Month the user is selecting so that Date can accumulate.

Karl

rcandeo
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you for you help. I´ve created another field called monthnum with numeric value and used it for the selection.