Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bill_mtc
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

How to trend Current Sales vs Prev Sales, using date as dimension?

Hi,

I have here one of client's requirement, would this be possible? Can we able to trend in one line chart the Current Sales vs Prev Sales, using Date as Dimension? (see attached file)

sales vs prev sales.jpg

NOTE:

Blue Line Dates are Dec 29, 2013 to Jan 7, 2014

Orange Line Dates are Dec 29, 2012 to Jan 7, 2013

What did is that, only date of Blue Line being used as dimension. This the same as getting Sales Revenue of Same Day of Previous Year.

As far as I'm concern, this is not doable, isn't it? If anyone could help, I would appreciate.

Regards,

Bill

16 Replies
Not applicable

Based upon those date requirements the lines would never intersect you have two distinct Years and a summary for each.

If the Yellow runs to December 2013 and the Blue runs from December 2013 how would they ever cross?

You would only be able to show Jan - Dec vs Jan to Dec of the relevant years (or Qtrs or which ever date period you select)

as attached - modified from Vikas

vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi, Bill Ringer Salalima

The question is, is it really doable?

I believe answer is yes. I would prefer to use for it AsOfTable approach as in article Calculating rolling n-period totals, averages or other aggregations mentioned by Gysbert Wassenaar in his answer.

I believe it gives results conforming to your requirements.

SalesVsPrevSales.png

Look at example in attachment

bill_mtc
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hello Vadim,

I already check the attached file, upon checking, I find it helpful. Will have to appy it first to the application and whenever it solves the problem, I will mark your answer as correct. Thank you so much!

Regards,

Bill

bill_mtc
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank you everyone for participating this ticket/discussion. Vadim Tsushko got the closest answer. I applied his idea, and add some tweakings, until I got the correct answer. (see attached)

Sales vs PrevYearSales.png

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi there,

I produced a blog post outlining how you can accumulate values across dimensions using multiple joins to the data model and uploaded an QlikView document showing the code working:

QlikView App: Accumulate values in the Data Model

The blog post explains how to create an accumulated figure, a moving annual total and an average bar.  The method used is similar to the one given here for prior periods.

Enjoy.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bill

Can you kindly share the application.

Regards

bill_mtc
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Yes sure, I will create a sample application related to the topic. Thanks for asking!

Regards,

Bill