Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

IE Pluging vs. Java ?

Hi there,

some of our users cannot connect with IE7, upgrading to IE8 works, but isn't an option for these users as other tools do not work with IE8.

However, the Java Client works for these users which made me thinking to switch all users to Java.

Is there any downside or is the Java client perhaps even superior?

Many thanks for your help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Java is not as fully-featured and is more prone to bugs. Here is a mostly-full list of potential problems with Java:

• Chart animations are not supported
  • Custom objects are not supported
  • Alerts are not supported
  • Not possible to access sheet objects via ODBC
  • No scroll control for predefined values in input box
  • Multi-line text wrapping cannot be used in multi-boxes
  • Info returning items other than text and URL's are not supported
  • Use of VBScript is restricted
  • Some quirks in font size rendering

It's strange that you're experiencing issues with IE7. IE7 works much better than IE8--in fact, some IE8 users need to run the browser in IE7 compatabililty mode. What exactly are the issues you are having connecting with IE7?

Regards,

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi there - any ideas? Many thanks!

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Java is not as fully-featured and is more prone to bugs. Here is a mostly-full list of potential problems with Java:

• Chart animations are not supported
  • Custom objects are not supported
  • Alerts are not supported
  • Not possible to access sheet objects via ODBC
  • No scroll control for predefined values in input box
  • Multi-line text wrapping cannot be used in multi-boxes
  • Info returning items other than text and URL's are not supported
  • Use of VBScript is restricted
  • Some quirks in font size rendering

It's strange that you're experiencing issues with IE7. IE7 works much better than IE8--in fact, some IE8 users need to run the browser in IE7 compatabililty mode. What exactly are the issues you are having connecting with IE7?

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hi Vlad,

many thanks for the detailed reply... I asked the same question to QlikTech Support and they told me that basically there's no difference... I get more and more the feeling that this forum is by far more helpful than the support.

The issue some users have is that they can login ok to the access point (through pass on of AD credentials), they are able to see their documents but when they try to open any document they do not even get the message 'Opening document XYZ' like usually but instead they get just get a white window.

In the lower left corner of the browser it says Done with an explanation mark on yellow ground. When expanding the error message it simply says Error: Object Expected.

Cheers, Lukas

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

No problem. What version, SR, and build are you running? This could be an authentication issue. These types of errors are pretty difficult to troubleshoot. It might be a good idea to upgrade to the latest version since that always seems to fix a bunch of problems. But this is definitely not a recognized issue that would require a workaround.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

We just upgraded to QV9 SR3 7440 today (server & IE plugin) which didn't solve the problem unfortunately.

I'm also guessing it's an authentication issue, but it's strange that with Java/Ajax the app can be opened.

Cheers, Lukas

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Couple more suggestions. If you are using IIS, make sure you set the proper authentication in the QVPlugin virtual directory (probably Windows Authentication). Check you IE security settings, particularly Download Unsigned ActiveX Controls; Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting; and Access data sources across domains. You would want to set those settings to "Prompt." Finally, if your server resides on a different domain, also add it to the IE Trusted Sites list.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hello- Did a solution get locked for this? We upgraded our servers to version 9.0 and had the users upgrade to the plugin 9.0. Most users are not having issues but a lot of them are getting 'object expected error'. We are using version 7.0 IE company wide and I have added the server name in everyone's trusted sites.

Thanks,

Kiran.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Kiran,

There's a useful hidden trick that I use to troubleshoot issues like these. .If you can open an app with the plugin, just go to the User menu and do About Qlikview and then right-click the Q icon in the lower left corner, which will bring up a settings dialog. Find ExtendedErrorLoggingMode and set it to a value of 1, which will turn on client logging. The log file will be written to user's My Documents (it may take a few minutes for this setting to take effect so don't worry if you don't see them right away). You can then analyze the problem to see what's going on in more detail.

Regards,