Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

IE plugin upgrade

Hi,

We are using windows QV 11.2 SR10 on windows 2008 sp1 machine. We are using 32 bit IE plugin client because we are not able to find 64 bit plugin which supports windows 2008 on Qlikview software download portal. I have the below queries-

All the laptop and VDI are using 64bit O/S. Currently 32 bit IE plugin installed on their machine and there is no communication failure server (64 bit) and client(32 bit) because of version mismatch.Do we need to upgrade IE Plugin client while upgrading SR10 to SR12?

9 Replies
marcus_sommer

Rather not. SR12 was only a security patch without any changes on functionalities and between SR10 and SR11 was assumingly not much which is related to the IE plugin - for this you could have a look on the release notes. Therefore the efforts to change the Plugin by each user is probably greater than the use.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

thanks. Just came to know 11.2 series Qlik already launched SR13 so is there any difference of plugin in SR12 and SR13.

t_witzgall
Partner - Contributor III

Hi

I've asked the Qlik support about this one year ago. They told me it is highly recommended to use the same version for server and client to make sure all features can be used and everything works fine.

They also told us that some of the "type-errors" (don't remember if it was Type-C oder Type-D or whatever) we faced are caused by different versions we where using at that time. So it affected our whole server (reloads, development, etc.).

I think, there will be no problems most of the time but as soon as you open a case at Qlik support they will first let you update your client to make sure that this is not the reason for the issues.

So maybe in your case you could update clients separatly if any issues occure.

Regards,

Tamara

marcus_sommer

SR13 contained about 50 bugfixes - probably nothing essentials related to the Plugin - especially if you have currently not a particular problem with them. If you upgraded to QV12 SR1/2 in about mid 2016 then you should upgrade the Plugin and/or consider to switch to the AJAX-client.

- Marcus

t_witzgall

Hi Marcus,

SR13 contained 1 Bugfix for IE:

• 70212 IE-plugin: "Shared - Load: Failed to delete object of type GraphProperties" error

And 5 for AJAX:

• 67133 Ajax:'Show alternatives' options not highlighted in listbox with alternative Selection Styles
  • 70004 AJAX- Sheet doesn't scroll up correctly after selecting records in long height table
  • 70284 Ajax Client: Document chaining issue with ajax and anonymous user
  • 70447 AJAX: Pivot table's expand icon missing
  • 70496 Toggle-able Current Selections box in AJAX no longer has "close" icon

If  you want to switch to Ajax you should consider the pros and cons of both, e.g. when having a large application Ajax might not be the best choice. We faced issues like up to 5 sessions for one user and as a consequence thereof not enough ressources on the server.

Regards,

Tamara

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Weird. As far as I know, the QlikView Plugin setup program contains both a 32-bit and a 64-bit OCX (even in QV12, but that together with QvConnect are about the only pieces that are still available in a 32-bit version) and will decide on its own which one to install. How did you manage to install a 32-bit client on a 64-bit Windows machine?

BTW every QVServer installation has plugin installers available in this server folder:

C:\Program Files\QlikView\Server\QlikViewClients\QlikViewPlugin

Only two are available: one for Windows 8 and up, and one for the other Windows versions.

Not applicable
Author

Thaks ...did you face any problem while upgrading SR13? It would be great if you share the screenshot if you have.

marcus_sommer

I agree to them regarding to the version of server and desktop-client but by the IE plugin or AJAX it's rather not critical - we used over years the Plugin from QV 9 on the server from QV 10 and it worked without problems (altough with reduced functionalities like containers which the old plugin didn't recognized).

- Marcus

t_witzgall

Until now we had no problems with SR13. In fact we experience faster reloads - so the decission for upgrading was a good one for us.