cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itec_pao
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Implementing simple KPI Visualisations

A dashboard or cockpit should clearly communicate key information to users. It should be kept simple and therefore and effective design is crucial. Besides showing the current situation, it should also show comparisons and trends.

Implementing simple reusable KPI boxes is one way to show different KPI's on a dashboard or cockpit. These would look like:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-07 um 09.34.02  Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-07 um 09.35.33

We can clearly see the current situation, with some additional informations about previous year or comparison to the budget. All this can done by using textboxes and some codes.

Within the QlikView application put the code below in the script editor:

SET PerformanceSymbol = if($1 < $2, chr(9660),if($1 > $2, chr(9650), chr(9654)));
SET PerformanceColor = if($1 < $2, red(),if($1 > $2, green(), black()));

In this example I have used Sales and Budget values. I have created two textboxes showing once the Sales and once the Budget:

='Sales: '&num( (sum(Sales)),'###'&ThousandSep&'##0')

='Prev. Year: '&num( (sum(Budget)),'###'&ThousandSep&'##0')
Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-07 um 10.17.23
Now, I have created a third one, including the difference:

=num( (sum(Sales)-sum(Budget))/ sum(Budget) , '#'&ThousandSep&'###'&DecimalSep&'## %') & $(PerformanceSymbol($(=sum(Sales)), $(=sum(Budget))))

In the Fonts register, for color I put this expression for calculating the color:
$(PerformanceColor($(=sum(Sales)), $(=sum(Budget))))

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-07 um 10.19.35
And the result shows me the difference in percent and because my Sales are higher then my budget, the colors appear in green. Arranging them all, I have then a KPI box, which I also can reuse to compare with previous year or for other KPIs.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-07 um 10.23.55

Regards,

Oktay

www.qlik-blog.com

2 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Dear Oktay,

A nice article. But I guess you posted at wrong place.

Instead of creating a post, you can create this as a document.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
itec_pao
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

You're right. I have created a new document.

Update: I could not create a document within this group. So, I will keep it here until I am able to.

Thanks.