Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is it necessary to use aggregation on one column for Charting?

Hi when I try to create a chart, it always asks to do aggregation on one column, like SUM(SALES). Is it necessary to do this aggregation while creating the chart?

If my query or data is already aggregated in that way, how can I skip that step in the wizard for creating chart?

regards,

Alex

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

No, that's not necessary. If you use the quick chart wizard you can choose Custom in Step 3 and enter your field SALES in the input box. You can also right click an empty part of the sheet and choose New Sheet Object and then Chart. In that wizard you won't be see the prefab aggregation expressions. You'll have to enter your own.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Wassenaar. I will check it.

regards,

Alex

Or
MVP
MVP

Keep in mind that, while it is not necessary to use an aggregation, QlikView will implicitly assume that you meant to use the Only() aggregation if you don't include any aggregation at all.

Not applicable
Author

Only() aggregation?

Is it aggregation type?

regards,

Alex

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The expression is always an aggregation. If you don't use an explicit aggregation function, QlikView will use the Only() function.

See more on http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2012/08/03/the-only-function

HIC