Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to import a text file where the number of rows per record is dynamic?

Can anyone help me figure out how to import the attached file into QlikView? The file is a server log file. The issue I'm having is that each individual record may have a different number of rows. Is there a way to dynamically set the record delimiter using the date stamp in the file. Each new record begins on the line starting with the date stamp.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So I took some time and worked my way through this and came up with the attached solution. It may not be the most elegant piece of work but it does the job and might be helpful to those that might be facing a similar situation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'd try to load the text into a temporary table with one long text field and then process the table row by row in a loop and apply custom logic for parsing each line. This way, you can set conditions for certain logic in the currentline, as well as in the previous line(s).

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think the first step is to tag the multiple rows so you can associate them together. You can assemble them into one table row per message like this: (based on the presence of the YYYY-MM-DD)

LOAD

Concat(RawLine, chr(13)&chr(10), RecId) as Msg

Group by MsgId

;

LOAD

[@1:n] as RawLine

,RecNo() as RecId

,if(num(date#(SubField([@1:n],' ',1),'YYYY-MM-DD'))>0

,AutoNumber(RecNo(),'MsgId')

,peek('MsgId')

) as MsgId

FROM

[SampleLogFile.txt]

(fix, codepage is 1252);

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://robwunderlich.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So I took some time and worked my way through this and came up with the attached solution. It may not be the most elegant piece of work but it does the job and might be helpful to those that might be facing a similar situation.