Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peschu123
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Keyfield as DUAL() any issues I should expect?

Hi,

since I'm not that experienced, I wanted to ask if you have experience with a Keyfield as Dual().

I use OrderID as Keyfield and want to use the Product name,as String Value. Because I often use this in charts etc. .

Do I have to expect any issues related to performance, used memory or data model? (about 400.000 rows).Or any other things I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for any advise on this topic.

Have a nice week

4 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Should not be any subtantial impact. You may try dual in the script if you are worried about the performance and yes that would not impact your data model.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

A dual key should work fine. Just note that it links on the numeric value of the dual. The same textual value is not enough to link.

HIC

peschu123
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thank you for your replies.

@Henric:

This is exactly what I was worrying about. Because the string is not necessarily unique, even if Order ID is unique. There would be for example Order ID 10010 and 10013 but Product name would be in both cases 'Machine_ABC'. As I understand it right, distinct load of order id would give me both IDs, even if the string is not distinct.

Thank you for clarifying this.

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Yes your right.

Simply you can test with the List Box it will show Product names multiple times even though the text is same.

Dual will compare both string and numeric representation and then associate the records.