Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlampard40
Contributor III
Contributor III

Keyword Search? Not sure how best to phrase my problem...

I am hoping someone can help me!  I have a large dataset containing info on the types of diagnostic exams patients have.  Sometimes a patient can have just one exam, or they can have two, three, four, five etc.  Whether they have just one exam or multiple exams, they all are stored under one event for each time they come to Hospital to have this / these scan(s).  A sample of the data looks something like this (note this is a fraction of the entire dataset and the event key is always unique for each event date - I've made up the event key here for demo purposes:

AD_Event_KeyAD_Examination
123456CVCOY
234567CABPEC  CVCOY
345678CCHAPC CVCOY
456788CVCOY
567890CCHESC  CLIVE  CVCOY
678901CVCOY
789012CLIVE CVCOY
890123CVCOY
901234CABPEC  CVCOY
112345CCHAPC  CVCOY

There are hundreds of these exam codes but I wanted to keep it simple for illustration purposes.

When the data is loaded into QlikView, it's all fine, until we want to do a search on how many times we've performed a certain scan.  So, in this example, if I type into the search tool in Qlikview (see attached image) 'CVCOY' it lists all of the entries with 'CVCOY' in it, whether it's a single exam or part of a multiple set of exams.  The problem is that due to there being hundreds of exam codes and many many combinations, the search box ends up producing a really long list which then needs to be all selected!  Same for list box selection (see attached image).

Is there any way I can tell Qlikview that these codes can be searched on their own i.e. when user types 'CVCOY' they just get 'CVCOY' as a result in the search drop down.  The result will then contain every instance of 'CVCOY' as would be expected but for the user perspective I'd like for them to just be able to lookup one specific exam, click on it in the search (or list box) and have QlikView know that it needs to search for all entries contaning 'CVCOY' but to not create a drop down of hundreds of options, for the user to have to select before it produces the results...!?

Your help is much appreciated.  Many thanks.  I'm sure there's a simple solution but it's evading me!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Include braces around your search string like:

(CVCOY)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Include braces around your search string like:

(CVCOY)

asinha1991
Creator III
Creator III

try searching this

(CVCOY)

jlampard40
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks guys - was looking for a more complicated option but this works perfectly.  Will just need to communicate this with the end users!  Many thanks.  Rgds

jlampard40
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Is there a way of adding multiple searches this way so, for example:  CVCOY and CLIVE at the same time in the search box??

asinha1991
Creator III
Creator III

if you mean eaither

(CVCOY|CVLIVE)

jlampard40
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Great - thanks.  There is another column (field) in the data source which contains the full name of these examinations, in the same format.  So 'CT Virtual Colonoscopy  CT Liver' as an example.  When I type into the search bar 'Liver' it comes up with all options again.  When I use your method of using brackets it displays nothing.  Any help greatly received.  Rgds