Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielle_v
Creator
Creator

Lag when Scrolling down Straight Table

Hi All,

I have a tab within one of my documents which contains a straight table of data. The table has 14 dimensions and 2 expression -

sum(Quantity) and sum(RetailPrice), and I'd say it is made up of around 50,000 rows.

Drilling down into the table or making selections which reduce the data in the table work absolutely fine, however there is quite a bad lag when trying to scroll down through the data. Users have complained so I need to improve performance, however I'm not really sure where to start as I don't think the table can be simplified any more so than it has been already.

Apart from the table, there is nothing else on the tab apart from a handful of filters, a Current Selections box and a Clear Selections button.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give!

4 Replies
sureshbaabu
Creator III
Creator III

Hello,

I'm trying to understand it deeper. so, if its just an aggregation function in your expressions on your real time scenario there shouldn't be any big lag while reading your data.

But, if there is any if statements, please replace them using set expressions and also try to reduce the number of synthetic tables/keys as possible

Thanks,

Suresh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Danielle

50,000 rows in a Straight Table, is a fair few and certainly too many for a human to look to eyeball in short term memory.

How about putting a Calculation Condition on the Straight Table, middle left of General Tab of something like :

Count ( [YourField] ) < 1000

Then when you have less than a thousand rows selected it will display fine, but if you have more than that it will display "Calculation condition unfulfilled".

You can change this default message if you click on the Error messages tab on the Straight Table, bottom left of General Tab.

When the user then narrows down the selection to less than 1,00 rows they will display.

Best Regards,     Bill

john_duffy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Danielle.

Just to add to Bill's response, how about also adding dropdown selects to some or all of the dimesions as another way of reducing the amount of data to scroll.

Regards,

John.

danielle_v
Creator
Creator
Author

Many thanks all for your help!

Bill - this is a really good suggestion, however the end user requires all data to be available to view before making selections. Certainly something for me to consider in similar situations though, so many thanks!

John - I didn't even know about dropdown selects so thanks for enlightening me! I have added these into my table, however there is still a lag even when the selections made only return a few lines of data - as soon as there's a need to scroll down at all, the data disappears and takes anything up to a minute to re-appear.

Suresh - there's no if statements or synthetic keys at all in my data, just 2 simple sum() calculations.

I think I might have to think of a work-around for this - if I come up with anything, I'll post it up here!