Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

List Box Expression Macro

Hello,

I am trying to add an expression to a listbox using a macro and have got this code:

set chart = ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("LB_CohortSelectBox")

set p = chart.GetProperties

set expr = p.Expressions.Item(0).Data.ExpressionData

expr.Definition.v = "sum(Amount)"

chart.SetProperties p

but the expression never gets added to the listbox. I also need to add a conditional show to this but I am stuck on this first step.

Can you help?

Many thanks,

Chris

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You'll want something like this: 

p.Def.Name = "=aggr(sum(Amount),Product)"

chart.SetProperties p

To begin with a listbox isn't a chart so it has a different kind of properties interface. Also, sum(Amount) returns only one value. You probably want to aggregate the amount over one or more dimensions to get a list of values.

To conditionally show/hide an object you can use the Show Conditional expression box on the Layout tab of the properties window of the object. You can enter an expression there. You could also use a variable there and put the expression in the variable or set the value of the variable using a button or a trigger. There are plenty of examples on the forums. You should be able to find one or two if you search a bit.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This works

sub myModule

set expr = p.Expressions.Item(0).Item(0).Data.ExpressionData

expr.Definition.v = "sum(Input)"

chart.SetProperties p

end sub

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your help.

I have actually already set the Def.Name, If you look on the properties of a list box there is an expressions tab and it is here I wish to add an item.

Thanks again,
Chris

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your suggestion but this didn't work for me. Is it because I am applying to a listbox and not a chart?

alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

May I ask you why you want to add a number to a list box ?

This object contains distinct values not only a number comeing from a sum ... am I wrong? Probably this is not the best object to do whot you want?

Not applicable
Author

Sure, I am using an expression to show many items are in each option. This has a conditional show attached so the user can toggle if they wish to see this information or not. So this listbox displays a list of values in the field with or without a count of the items the filter will apply to basically.

We have a version working which is static but I now need to create the listbox dynamically based on an earlier selection which is working fine, it is just this final part of adding an expression to it.

Thanks,
Chris

bgerchikov
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Here is how it works (at least for me):

p.Expressions.Add

set expr = p.Expressions.Item(0).Data.ExpressionData

expr.Definition.v = "sum(Amount)"

chart.SetProperties p

PS I've spent several hours to figure out this method used instead of AddExpression in graphs or tables.

Thanks!