Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

List Separator

my document and system listsep is ',' (comma).

now i have requirement where my inputbox dropdown will contain customer names with ',' (lastname, firstname).  selecting this name should select this customer.

currently i have a work around in my design to takeout ',' while displaying the inputbox dropdown and after selecting customer user will have to click on a button (placing the ',' back) will select the customer. which works but with expense of one additional button click, which we are trying to eliminate this with variable trigger in place.

now i am trying to change the listsep value in the system control panel from ',' to ';', recopy the application will only changing my 'sys' list sep but not the 'Doc' list sep. (brand new document will take the ';' as doc and sys listsep)

Question is, is there a way to change the Document List separator either in the script or one time macro command ?

10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

below is directly from this thread: Input Box and Concat

Hi there,

It seems it takes (and preserve) this setting from the original operating system. Go to the Windows Start button, Control Panel, Regional Settings, Additional Customization, and there you have in the "Number" tab all the locale settings for date, decimal, thousand and yes, list separator.

Pretty easy to mess that up when you download a file created in a different operating system language, as it happens here.

As far as I've tried, there is no similar setting/environment variable in QlikView that you can set.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

EDIT: It can be changed as well in the registry browsing to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International and the String entry (Windows 7) "sList" with value ";" or whatever.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

First, I was sure that separator is always ':' - this is what Help says.  Anyway, no matter what it is, any separator works if you put each value in the single quotes, i.e. 'lastname, firstname','lastname, firstname'

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

check this thread...Miguel Angel Baeyens has a solution for your question!

Input Box and Concat

Not applicable
Author

tried with single quotes but it still spitting the name at comma.

my input is : 'JOHN, SMITH','KEVIN, STUART'

output:

'JOHN

SMITH'

'KEVIN

STUART'

Not applicable
Author

Miguel's solutions is the same what i am doing i believe, if you change the system variable on control panel it only applys to new documents. but it will not change existing document document list separator even after reload.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Strange, I tested.  Used ';' as separator.  Listed value:

'1;2;3';'456';'789'

And, the first value in drop-down is '1;2;3', not the '1

What gives me a pause - my "document support info" says that ListSep =",", but I always use ";", because of this: 

Listed ValuesCheck this alternative to specify a list of arbitrary predefined values. The values can be either numeric or alphanumeric. Alphanumeric values must be enclosed in quotes (e.g. 'abc'). Each value is separated by a semicolon ( ; ) (e.g. 'abc';45;14.3;'xyz' ). This option can be used alone or in combination with Number
Series

Did you try ";"?

Not applicable
Author

thats weird ... i tried with semicolon also, didn't work. my values are out of an expression, did you try hard coded values in the input box ? will it make any difference ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, I tried only hardcoded.  This is the exact string I've typed there:

'1;2;3';'456';'789'

Can you upload non-working example?

Not applicable
Author

Anyone have a solution yet, as Srinivas states it is fine for new documents but not on existing models. it it is reflecting you should be able to change the document setting, even if it is via a script