Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Load new data dynamically

Hello

I'm working with QlikView Desktop (Personal Edition) and I'm retrieving my data from an ODBC-database.

I would like to do the following:

Load the sales data of a month, say January 2009, and analyse it (e.g. see what kind of customer has bought what kind of product). Now I would like to add February to my analyse. And then March, etc. Is there some way to do this (basically analyse time series) dynamically? I mean, is there some way to make QlikView load the necessary new data by itself? Or do I have to load the new portion of data always manually? I'm imagining some kind of sliding window over the data.

Has someone an idea how this could be realised?

Thanks for your input.

Edmondo

3 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Edmondo,

almost every new developer that comes to QlikView from other (not in-memory) environments, begins with this question - how can I load part of my data "on demand", analyze it and then load another part of my data.

While there are tricks to enable such functionality, this is not how we usually do things with QlikView. With QlikView, we load all relevant data up-front, and we let the user select what part of the data needs to be analyzed at the moment. Even if you have a lot of data, modern hardware should enable this type of analysis, without the need to load one month at a time.

Not applicable
Author

Oleg Troyansky wrote:
While there are tricks to enable such functionality<div></div><div></div>

Please tell us these tricks! I have been searching the forums for them but so far not found them.

Oleg Troyansky wrote:
Even if you have a lot of data, modern hardware should enable this type of analysis, without the need to load one month at a time. <div></div><div></div>

I am currently evaluating Qlikview for using it together with a system that generates literally millions of records every day....

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg ,
Can you please elborate on these tricks that enable this.I Think that since Qlikview has some limitation in its scalability patterns (allow only vertical path), for huge amount of data it may be usefull to support the ability to replace the data a user is working on dynamically.