Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Loading image in text object makes whole sheet slow

Hello community,

I'm displaying images (one at a time) that are located on a server using a text object with the according server path to the image.

Not only does it take 3-5 seconds to click through the images - the whole sheet lacks responsiveness, for example simply moving a object could take up to 3-5 seconds.

If I delete the text object that displays the image everything is back to normal.

Is there something I can do to gain a better performance?

I couldn't find anything on storing not just the path but the actual image to a qvd for example.

What options do I have here?

Thank you.

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can load images with the Bundle keyword. See here for example:  http://community.qlik.com/message/226900#226900

Note, the images will be stored in the QV document as bitmaps so they will take up a lot more space than a compressed format like jpg or png file will use.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

If use images with lower resolution, that is smaller size, there should be no problems.

pgrenier
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hello Thorsten,

One aspect you could consider is to diminish the size of your pictures. For example, if your source images are 4000x6000 pixels, but your text field is sized to only 200x300, this forces QlikView to re-evaluate the redimensionning of the images to 1/20th of their size for each action (click, selection, etc.). Not only that, but large images need a lot more memory to display than small images.

Creating smaller sized versions of your images and loading those rather than the original ones will accelerate greatly the refresh rate for the whole sheet.

Hope this helps, regards,

Philippe

Not applicable
Author

thank you, I will try that.

Not applicable
Author

I've tried the Bundle Load function, however it didn't speed up the process. But I think I now know why the response is so slow. Many images are in the tiff-fomat and I just did a test with local .jpg and .tiff files and as soon as I select a .tiff the response goes down.

So I believe in order to gain speed I would need a conversion to jpg first.

Not applicable
Author

This is an example of the ImagePath I retrieve from the server:

\\servername\F$\folder1\folder2\public\ID00044\ID00044123456.tif

\\servername\F$\folder1\folder2\public\ID00043\ID00043654321.tif

Is there a way to copy these files from within QlikView to my local client and create the same folder structure starting right after the public folder?

You can see that the ID-Folder is just a left(ImageID, 6) which I concatenate in the load script as follows:

\\servername\F$\folder1\folder2\public\' & left(ImageID,6) & '\' & ImageID & '.tif' AS ImgSource

If this works I would then need to run a batch conversion to gif on all newly loaded tif-files.

Hope you guys can help me again.

Not applicable
Author

I think I found a way to convert the files. What is left now, is to find the delta when new IDs are loaded.