Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PrashantSangle

Logic/ Algorithm behind qlikview function

Hi,

Where can I find the logic/script/algorithm which is actually executing behind qlikview functions?

Dear Masters

hic‌‌, johnw, rwunderlich‌, swuehl‌, gwassenaar‌, stevedark‌, jontydkpi‌, marcus_sommer

Regards,

Prashant

Great dreamer's dreams never fulfilled, they are always transcended.
Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂
6 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

What exactly are you looking for?

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
PrashantSangle
Author

I am actually looking for logic

Suppose If i say function

subfield(fieldName,parameter)

what logic behind this function. How this function work? Is there any script run behind it like java /.net

Is any other details required??

Regards,

Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can find a description of all functions in the Help, e.g.

SubField ‒ QlikView

The help is describing what is returned for what input, in an abstract way, the examples should make it clear.

If you are interested in the implementation of these functions, QlikView / Sense is proprietary software and the implementation is not published.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Most functions are native code written in C++. We would never get the same performance from Java script or C#. Statistical functions are however evaluated using the Cephes Mathematical Library.

HIC

PrashantSangle
Author

Thanks.

Actually I am working on performance optimization.

My intention to understand algorithm/logic behind function is can I apply similar logic in sql while fetching data from source. And I want to compare performance of dashboard when we are using functions in qlikview datamodel with using similar logic in sql.

Regards,

Prashant

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

In most cases it doesn't really make any big difference whether you calculate things in SQL or in the QlikView script. In both situations, the calculations are made when the script runs.

The big difference is whether you call the function in a UI object, or if you do it in the script. If you call the function in a UI object, the calculation is made every time the user clicks, which of course will influence the performance. But if you do it in the script, the number will be calculated during the script run and then stored.

So, the big question is: Which numbers do you want to be "static" (calculated in the script) and which numbers do you want to be "dynamic" (calculated when the user clicks)?

HIC