Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Looking for Examples of End User Docs Integrated into QV App

I have a customer looking for creative ways of integrating end user documentation, faqs, etc.. in QV Apps beyond the provided 'Help Captions' and Text Objects...

Does any one have a creative example?

Thanks.

-Ed

7 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Well, I don't know how creative it is, but attached is how I implemented a dictionary of the fields and other terms for an application. In this case, the dictionary is maintained in an Excel spreadsheet.

In a more complicated application, field definitions and the rules for calculating the field values are entered on a web page and stored in a database. The business system (a cost reporting system in this case) executes the rules that were entered. QlikView script then pulls from the same database as the business system, avoiding separate maintenance and preventing its dictionary from EVER being out of sync. I don't want to upload the whole thing, but here's an example of what we display. The text above the dashed line is the description entered by the person maintaining the rule. The text below the dashed line is the rule itself, which is what the business system executes.

WE ALLOCATE THE NET COST (COST LESS RECOVERY) OF NON-PRIME COILS (SECONDARY AND SCRAP) TO RELATED PRIME COILS. ALLOCATION METHODS ARE IDENTIFIED BELOW, IN THEIR ORDER OF PRECEDENCE:

1) WE ALLOCATE CC2 GALXC AND GALVANNEAL TRANSITION COIL COSTS TO ALL PRIME COILS IN THE PRODUCTION RUN. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO SCRAP COILS BECAUSE SCRAP COILS ARE NOT USED AS TRANSITION COILS.

2) WHEN A COIL IS DOWNGRADED PRIOR TO PCM, WE ALLOCATE THE NON-PRIME COIL COSTS TO ALL PRIME COILS PRODUCED ON THE PCM WITHIN THE MONTH OF THE DOWNGRADE. THIS ALLOCATION IS BASED ON PRODUCT GROUP (CRA, CRFH, GALV, TIN).

3) WE ALLOCATE DUMMY COIL COSTS TO ALL PRIME COILS RUN ON A FACILITY WITHIN THE MONTH OF THE DOWNGRADE. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO SCRAP COILS BECAUSE SCRAP COILS ARE NOT USED AS DUMMY COILS.

4) WE ALLOCATE NON-PRIME COIL COSTS TO PRIME COILS ON THE ORIGINAL PRIME ORDER ITEM. A NON-PRIME COIL'S COSTS ARE REFLECTED ON ALL THE ORIGINAL ORDER ITEM'S PRIME COILS PRODUCED AT THE FACILITY CHARGED FOR THE DOWNGRADE.

5) IF NONE OF THE PRECEDING SITUATIONS PREVAIL THEN WE ALLOCATE A NON-PRIME COIL'S COSTS TO ALL PRIME COILS PRODUCED ON THE LAST PRODUCTION FACILITY DURING THE NON-PRIME COIL'S PRODUCTION MONTH.

AS WITH ALL COSTS, WE NORMALIZE TO THE SHIPPED WEIGHT OF THE COIL, OR TO THE CURRENT WEIGHT OF THE COIL FOR IN-PROCESS COILS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SET ATM ALLOCATED NET COST OF NON-PRIME COILS = 0 $

IF CURRENT COIL COST CLASS NOT = "PRIM"
EXIT-COMMIT
END-IF

IF ATM ORDER ITEM PRODUCED WEIGHT OF PRIME COILS NOT = 0 LB
SET ATM ALLOCATED NET COST OF NON-PRIME COILS
= ATM ALLOCATED NET COST OF NON-PRIME COILS
+ ATM PRODUCED WEIGHT
* ( ATM ORDER ITEM NET COST OF RELATED NON-PRIME COILS
/ ATM ORDER ITEM PRODUCED WEIGHT OF PRIME COILS )
END-IF

IF ATM MONTHLY PRODUCED WEIGHT OF PRIME COILS NOT = 0 LB
+ ATM PRODUCED WEIGHT
* ( ATM MONTHLY NET COST OF RELATED NON-PRIME COILS
/ ATM MONTHLY PRODUCED WEIGHT OF PRIME COILS )
END-IF

* ATM WEIGHT NORMALIZATION RATIO

Not applicable
Author

John,

Thanks for the reply. The Excel option is on the table as a solution (with formula & business definitions). I think my customer is looking for something more elegant (although this is very pragmatic approach).

Ed

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

So something more like integrating Word documents or PowerPoint slides with QlikView? Hmmm. Maybe save the document or slide as HTML, and then we just need a way to display HTML in QlikView. Not seeing it, unfortunately. I suppose that's because it would turn QlikView into a browser. So maybe you need to go the other direction - run QlikView in a browser alongside relevant user documentation. I haven't played with running QlikView in a browser, though, so I don't have any relevant experience. I also may be badly off track. But it just seems like you would want to combine all of the pieces into one nice graphical environment, and that the logical environment would be inside of a browser rather than inside any of the systems contributing your source files.

Not applicable
Author

Agreed....

I think if the client would deploy using AJAX rather than the IE Plug-in I would have many more options.

-Ed

bullish35
Creator II
Creator II

I'm very interested in answers to this question.

I am using an inline data load script to generate a Table of Revisions for the new applications template I've been tasked with developing. The concept could be extrapolated and perhaps applied to meet your client's request. Although, I must say, I like John's data dictionary as well. It would be great to create the integrated graphical presentation John mentioned using a SharePoint QV web part to display the QV application and maintain all other documentation relative to the application as a SharePoint list item. If it's possible, that's where I'd be headed!

Regards,

Ellen

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Ellen Blackwell wrote:It would be great to create the integrated graphical presentation John mentioned using a SharePoint QV web part to display the QV application and maintain all other documentation relative to the application as a SharePoint list item.

We're actually now working on what I described a year ago "run QlikView in a browser alongside relevant user documentation". We have a web page that supports tabs, and each tab has a separate QlikView application, or user-enterable text, or links to other documents, or whatever. We pass parameters from the web page to the QlikView applications to control which tabs are displayed. It's not complete and I'm not coding the web side of it, so I'm lacking in details other than being able to say that yes, this can work. Here are a couple of pictures of what we have in progress:

bullish35
Creator II
Creator II

John, this looks great. I would love to see it in its completed state.

Ellen